on 29 November 2012
A subject and era I am very interested in, another in the series My Story, well written and enjoyable but dwells to much on Viking fables instead of getting on with the story
on 26 October 2017
good
on 17 November 2017
I not really happy with this purchase, I was under the assumption that a "very good" product was undamaged and unmarked yet I receieved a widrawn book from peterborough library..
Its really badly laminated with large marks on the front and a stamp and stickers on the inside. Im not really impressed at all.
review imagereview image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 January 2016
I can't say I'm a huge fan of Viking history and their era, and that in itself might have influenced my rating and experience of this book.

I found the story tedious and slow. The beginning, and first entry you read, definitely grips you as it is filled with intensity and suspense, however going back to the beginning and getting to that point was a lot less exciting than I thought it would be.

The story follows the path of Tor into manhood as he finds himself always being compared and competing with his adopted brother Ragnar. Tor can't help but be jealous of the attention Ragnar gets from the men surrounding him, and he is quite known for his bravery and strength. Unlike Tor who seems to be the exact opposite (in terms of physical strength) and always finds himself stuck in awkward situations and unable to assist himself.

This firsthand account is in parallel with Thor and Loki's stories, which seem to be a reflection of what Tor is feeling or experiencing in general. I found it did not all go together cohesively, and the overall account of events was lacking. I did not find it as informative as other reviewers seemed to think, and again, I want to reiterate that the age of the Vikings is definitely not my favourite in general, so I wasn't as engrossed.

Overall, it's OK. But it starts out way better than it ends.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 May 2009
It's a neat trick pull off a novel packed with historical detail which is not only is accessible enough for young kids, but exciting enough to keep them interested long enough to let them absorb the factual content. It's an even better trick if the same book can do the same for adults!

The writer here does this with great gusto: terse, dramatic descriptions of fearsome seafaring and bloody combat is balanced against home life which is both recognisable enough to modern eyes and yet alien enough to be exotic. Not only that, but any fan of the Thor Marvel Comic will love the retelling of the stories of the Norse mythological figures which runs alongside and informs the child Tor's narrative.

I've always found the Viking era an unattractive one and hard to imagine, but this novel throws exciting light on a dark period of history. The timeline is useful and accompanies some well-chosen pictures of artefacts, archaeological digs, reconstructed longboats and a map. Recommended for teachers, students and even people nowhere near a school!
on 30 March 2010
My eight year old daughter has a school project about the vikings and so I decided to read her this book. I'm glad I did, there were times when she was telling me about what I was reading, so her teacher seems to have done a good job.
I am her dad and there were often times that I wanted to pick up the book myself to find out what would happen next! It is gory at parts but they are vikings after all so what can you expect.
Overall an excellent book that we both enjoyed and we had that 'end of a good book' feeling when it was over.
on 8 November 2014
Viking blood is a great story because tor the viking went on a raid i enjoyed hearing about his adventures with Ragnar his adopted brother.
on 25 January 2009
This is a story about a young teenager named Tor Scaldblane, growing up in the time of the Vikings. He lives with his father, mother and older adopted brother Ragnar, who is also his cousin.

Tor is desperate to go to war and become a hero. On his first raid, Tor gets injured and even loses his right hand in battle. This makes him more desperate to become the greatest warrior of all.

I loved this book. It has a gripping story filled with tension. The author has taken a lot of time to research the era of the Vikings and the story of Tor helps the reader almost smell the smells and imagine the sights of that period.

Once started, I really couldn't put the book down and wanted to devour more chapters . I really loved hearing about the stories of the gods such as Thor and his mighty hammer, Odin (the Father of the gods - a bit like Zeus kid of the Greek gods) and my favourite, Loki the Trickster. It also has a timeline and pictures of Viking artefacts at the back of the book which shows the writer has tried to make it as realistic as possible.

I recommend this book. It's really informative about the Vikings and that period. Yet it's also a dramatic tale of war and how a young boy turns into a man.
on 26 March 2009
A highly readable book that gives a exciting insight into Viking lives. Great for adults and children - I'd recommend this book to anyone!
on 26 October 2012
Awful, this book is not interesting or factual. For the most part I've found the my story books really good, I've loved everyone so when I found Viking blood (the viking age being on of my favorite times in history) I was over the moon but it was a real let down, the writing is awful and totally inaccurate :( Far better of getting a copy of one of the original storys from the time, even lord of the rings is more accurate than this nonsense!!!!