Format: Diary|Change

on 17 October 2001
This book is fantatic, because before it I had never even heard of the hunger in Ireland, and now I know a lot. Phyllis, even though she is a lot better off than most families in her area still struggles with the rest of them when the potato famine comes, and she also has to deal with the acceptance of love and death at the same time. It is also good because it tells you about the conflict between the two religions and the English government, and it made me understand more about Irish history, and encouraged me to read more books about it. This is one of my favourite books, I really recommend it or any other of the My Story ones to anyone.
on 26 October 2007
Excellent! I love these books this was one of the best from my collection,
I think they should be introduced to the school curriculum.
I didn't have any knowledge or understanding of the hunger in Ireland, this has taught me the lot.
on 15 April 2001
Phylly is a fourteen-year-old girl living in Ireland in 1845. Her family is better off than most poor Irish farm families. Phylly even has a job as a maid at the landlord's estate. But when a terrible disease attacks the potato crop, Phylly's family suffers as much as everyone else. Phylly fights to keep her spirits up through her family's struggle for survival and even experiences the wonder of first love. I reccomend this book to fans of historical novels.
on 23 March 2009
O my gosh - I totally emphathised with the characters: I felt deep sorrow for Phyllis and enjoyed reading her romances, I was sad for her family who were ill and distraught by the terrible potato disease and I felt sorry for ireland, during such difficult times.
Join teenager Phyllis Mc Cormack who gets a job and enjoy indulge in a very emotional yet heart warming novel. Lose yourself in the excellent storyline, marvel at the way Phyllis perceives every day life and fall head over heels in love with her hearthrob. This book is a must read as the descriptions are amazing and you can easily lose yourself with such a fantastic book. Utterly stunning...
on 15 November 2008
phyllis mccormack keeps her diary during the poatatofamine of 1845,she is more fortunate than most families, having ajob as scullery maid at the absentees landlords house,when her mother gets ill she goes off in search of her rebel brother.

this book was good, and gave a clear view of the irish poatato famine through a childs eyes.A mystyory diairy not to be missed.
on 12 February 2010
Although this book is aimed at teenage readers it's also a very worthwhile and interesting read for adults. I learned a lot about the Irish potato famine from reading this book and really enjoyed the enthralling story that unfolded of Phyllis and her family's struggle to survive.
Written in the form of a teenage girl's diary you really get a feel for how frightening it must have been to live through them harrowing and bleak times.
on 27 January 2013
I bought this as a present for someone who had a deep interest in the Irish Famine. I had already read it years ago and knew it was pretty much what she was looking for. Delivery was fast and the book nwas in good condition. Am well Pleased. Would shop here again
on 6 September 2012
i really enjoyed this book. read it in a day. its a girls diary of the famine period, the pain, the hunger, familiy life struggling. i wont say any more as dont want to spoil it. but it was simply written and easy to enjoy reading. i didnt put it down and finished it same day. love it x
on 19 November 2007
Phyllis McCormack is better of than most other families but they still starve when the potato famine comes. they are still very poor. She has to deal with love death and starvation all at once. But I can't give too much away. buy this NOW
on 20 August 2014
In 1845 Phyllis a 13yr old living with her family of farmers are caught up in the great potato famine, with nothing to eat she manages to get a job at the local manor but things get so bad her youngest sister and mother eventually die from hunger. Pat, her older brother is involved with the fight for Ireland, a fight for independence and help to feed the starving, Phyllis becomes involved and the story continues.