on 5 June 2007
This is the first novel I've read by Pamela Oldfield, in fact she's written a whole series called "My Story".

It's a novel set out in the way of a diary, although Alice Paynton is a fictitious character a lot of people during that time kept diaries during that time and some have been found.

The story is based on both fact and fiction, and the author has woven both extremely well to come up with an excellent piece of work. :-)

I found it interesting as the plague and the great fire were seen through the eyes of a child and not an adult. The emotions of this child come out extremely well.

I found this a very compulsive read and would love to read some more of her work. This is a great book for both adults and children who are interested in history. It's an easy read and the story pulls you a long into a world of horror during that time were many people lost their loved ones.

It's well worth the money and it's a book I will enjoy reading again. :-)
10 people found this helpful
on 5 April 2014
I chose three star because this is a great book, but not what I had hoped for. I brought this book because I am studying the plague at the moment and thought that this would be really interesting. However it didn't have nearly as much detail on the plague as I would have liked and was a tiny bit boring. Also, it rarely had anything interesting, and it was a bit annoying the way it said `tis` instead of it is. I would recommend this for people interested in history. I think that it is suitable for all ages.
on 7 August 2014
Its 1665 and Alice lives with her father and Auntie in London, the plague is spreading quickly and Alice's aunt and father become very sick, her aunt dies soon after. Everyone is fleeing London to get away from the plague but the country people put up barriers and force them back to London, thousands are dying but they have no choice but to return.
on 16 June 2018
I am really pleased with this book.
on 10 June 2017
quite enjoyed this one, suspect I should not at 75, but I did.
One person found this helpful
on 8 March 2018
good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 29 December 2013
This is a great book for around 10 years upwards up. It is fiction, but draws heavily on contemporary accounts, so its depiction of the appalling changes that, ignoring status and wealth, the plague brought to London and its environs is pretty accurate. The writer manages to get inside the mind of the young heroine, she is believable, and easy to identify with. A good read.
One person found this helpful
on 20 February 2015
Didn't realise that this was a children's book when I bought it, the description of book on site could do with some clarification in the future
on 6 March 2017
Good value
on 30 January 2016
Not enough detail for me especially about the Mortality Bills and the Plague Pits.