on 10 June 2017
quite enjoyed this one, suspect I should not at 75, but I did.
on 6 March 2017
Good value
on 29 August 2004
Thirteen-year-old Alice Paynton lives in the busy and crowded city of London in 1665. She lives with her father and his sister, her Aunt Nell, who has raised Alice since her mother died giving birth to her. Alice begins her diary writing of happy events, such as seeing plays at the theater. However, a dark shadow begins to fall over London as the bubonic plague spreads. Alice writes of her family's desperate struggle to survive as the disease takes over the city. This was an excellent book about a young girl's experiences during a horrifying period in history. I recommend it to all readers of the My Story series.
This is the first novel I've read by Pamela Oldfield, in fact she's written a whole series called "My Story".

It's a novel set out in the way of a diary, although Alice Paynton is a fictitious character a lot of people during that time kept diaries during that time and some have been found.

The story is based on both fact and fiction, and the author has woven both extremely well to come up with an excellent piece of work. :-)

I found it interesting as the plague and the great fire were seen through the eyes of a child and not an adult. The emotions of this child come out extremely well.

I found this a very compulsive read and would love to read some more of her work. This is a great book for both adults and children who are interested in history. It's an easy read and the story pulls you a long into a world of horror during that time were many people lost their loved ones.

It's well worth the money and it's a book I will enjoy reading again. :-)
on 22 September 2008
Alice paynton lives with her aunt nell and father and servant maggie in the city of london in the time of the plague and the great fire. more doors are being barred and painted with red crosses each day, when her aunt is struck down by the plague and dies of the plague, she is forced to fend for herself in the ruthless city of london...

alices diary is bopth full of exictement and adventure youll will be crying or gasping.

I personally think this book is brilliant, one ofthe best my story books easy to get into, I disnt think it looked intresting but ended up getting really into it great for girls aged9 and up.
on 29 September 2002
i absolutely loved this book. i read it in one day because it was so intriging. The words Alice Paynton used were truly great and were written in an excellent way. This book kept me on the edge of my seat at all times and i felt that i was there all long. I hate reading but this book was so good i am willing to read others in the series and my teachers and parents are happy i am finally reading.
on 17 April 2009
My daughter's nine and really loved reading this. She's becomming interested in all aspects of History, and looks forward to getting another in the series. I've read it too and as a teacher I think they're great and very well researched and written. A brilliant follow up to all of the 'Horrible History' books.
on 7 April 2002
I thought this was an extremely good book. If Alice was a real person it must have been traumatizing and scary as she was only 13? London was very unlucky in 1665! I found that I couldn't get into it at first but as the pages went on it got alot better. This book is good for 9-14 year olds. I'm only 11 and I loved it.
on 18 January 2016
Not for me. I could not immerse myself in the events taking place, and I could not connect with 14 year old Alice. I'm not sure why, maybe it was the mood I was in, or the state of mind I had while reading it, but for whatever reason this book fell really short of what my expectations were.

When rumors of the plague start emerging, Alice finds herself in constant fear of getting the disease. As the death tolls are mounting, Alice can barely leave the house, until her own Aunt Nell falls sick. Alice remains in the house with her aunt, caring for her as much as she could, hoping she doesn't catch the disease herself, while her father is locked out elsewhere, not allowed to leave due to the disease as well.

When her Aunt Nell dies, having not made it, Alice is completely alone in this world. Once pronounced safe to leave their houses, Alice packs and leaves in the hopes she could get to her Uncle's village outside of London, only she (along with many others) are turned back and now allowed to cross. Alice is kind of relieved to be going back to her own home, even though she had almost starved from lack of food earlier.

She finally finds herself reunited with her father, and we end the book with the huge London fire.

It may have been the events, or the way Alice wrote her story, but this book didn't do it for me. Not one bit.I found it very boring and uninteresting.
on 9 July 2012
Have bought one of the series of My Story books, initially for my children. I am now on a fourth book from the collection. This particular story is raw, vivid and touchable, I have never read about history in such an emotive way. Im so glad i found this creative, informative historical series, ive learnt so many facts i never knew before and feel history really has been brought to life. Highly recommend for young adults and adults alike.