Customer reviews

on 21 March 2007
'The Angry Aztecs fills you in on the foulest facts about Motecuhzoma, Cuahtemoc and other people with unpronounceable names, whose idea of fun was ripping out human hearts.

Want to know:

* why the Aztecs liked to eat scum?
* when the world is going to end?
* how to play a REALLY violent ball game?

Read on for human sacrifices, Mayan mysteries, sacrifices, a suffering slave's diary and more sacrifices.
Find out about powerful priests, weird warriors, and the cunning Conquistadors - who made the Aztecs very angry indeed.
History has never been so horrible!'

A witty, colourful cover opens to 127 pages, split over chapters:

1. Terrible timeline
2. The mysterious Maya
3. The awful Aztecs
4. Eat like an Aztec
5. Aztec days
6. Live like an Aztec
7. The cunning conquistadors

with an introduction and an epilogue.

Written with the typical Deary humour, in a variety of fonts, and superb illustrations throughout from Martin Brown.
on 3 April 2001
Just imagine burying your dead folks under your living room!? And the Maya finding cross-eyed children cute and having a way to make them so. This book has a lot of fun details, among the details of not so cute history. And this book should be taught in every school. Not only because it's fun and humorous, although it adds to the danger of children actually learning something. More because of this author's way of looking at historical "facts" and changes of time. It can be so hard to find books you want your young to read, you don't want them to judge without knowing the facts, you don't want them to assume that progress of time is in straight line forward only for the better, or always good. Here I think we have a book we can trust with our young minds. They might even develop thinking! And while you're at it, take the more harmless funny "facts" and tell to your very young, they will laugh too.
on 22 May 2016
This review is actually by my 10 year old......
"Horrible Histories Angry Aztecs" is an amazing easy-to-read book that's full of fascinating facts. Starting with a great timeline, the information in this book is very accurate, reliable and extremely interesting. Seeing as my class are studying the Aztecs at school, I have been given a head start because of this book and have discovered things that I was surprised to find out.

Some of the gobsmacking facts I have found out are:
-many priests ate the arms, legs and hearts of sacrificial victims
-King Nezahualpilli had 2,000 wives and 144 children
-after failing to conquer the Aztecs, Herman Cortes soon came back to Mexico for a re-match with the Aztecs
-people of Mexico had never seen horses before until the Spaniards came
-if a Mayan child died then their mother would cut the end off one of her own fingers and have it buried with the child

The book is really helpful when studying Aztecs as it covers the Maya and a little bit about the surrounding tribes at the time as well. "Angry Aztecs" includes some spectacular illustrations by Martin Brown which match the text perfectly. The book also features many many jokes which really DO make you laugh out loud. Terry Deary has given the "Angry Aztecs" a more fictional sense by joking around and adding remarks such as "That would have done her a good job" and "lucky her" when things aren't really good for them or lucky!
on 13 March 2013
Do not get this on kindle fire he. If you like the horrible history series as I do don't get this book on your kindle fire hd. It only shows the cartoons and not any of the writing. I read this book after I bought it and really enjoyed it but it is a shame that it does not work on the kindle
on 11 April 2000
I really enjoyed this book. I had done a school project on the Aztecs, but I found that this book gave a lot more imformation. I would advise other people to go and buy this book. It doesn't take long to read if you're like me and get hooked to books!
on 6 February 2001
I liked this book a lot and it only took me 1 week to read, because when I started to read it I just couldn't put it down. I'm also collecting the Horrible History series and so-far I only need 5 of the specials to complete the series.
on 24 March 2011
A fantastic way to learn about history. Tells you all the facts that your teachers don't! My son got into these after watching it on CBBC. Very informative and factual, can't wait to collect them all.
on 21 November 2009
very good value, my son rarely puts this book down. bought it for him as he is learning about aztecs at school and thought it would help him. very fun way to learn about history.
on 11 April 2010
I think it's fair to say that this book is positively riddled with distortions, exaggerations, factual errors and a persistent emphasis on everything negative; whilst none are unduly serious on their own, the combined effect is to demean and actively to demote Aztec civilisation to virtually the lowest ranking on any index of cultural achievement. "The Aztecs were the neighbours from Hell" just about sums up Deary's view of them. Simple factual errors abound and Deary deliberately paints a picture of Aztec life based on gore, mindless violence, pain, suffering, cruelty, savagery, ugliness, "cheating" and general debauchery. Not once does he attempt to place any Aztec ritual or tradition into meaningful context. As you can imagine he goes overboard with human sacrifices, talking of sacrificing 20,000 in "a single party", "huge cannibal feasts", the Aztecs would "enjoy the cruelty", and so on and on. This may be music to the ears of gullible young children, but it pays a disgraceful lack of respect to the modern day Mexican descendants of a highly advanced Mesoamerican culture. Tell your children to take this book with a gigantic pinch of salt!
on 8 February 1999
I thought that this book was a fabulous one. When I bought it I thought"This is a funny book!"