on 14 December 2011
This one's my favourite one yet of the series. I have never read about the Battle of Britain before, not from a RAF and aircrew perspective anyway. I am ashamed to say that I have never even considered pilots who fight in battles before this, because the focus is usually always on those fighting on land.

Chris Priestley's style of writing is great. It was very amusing, very entertaining, very evocative and poignant, and most importantly...very real. He knew how to get us attached to Harry, to his family, to his friends, to Lenny especially - and he was able to successfully accomplish this in very limited space. Add to this the historical context, and the knowledge that is gained by reading this.

I found the Moby-Dick part hilarious, and the German soldier part at the end extremely depressing. And the concept of war being honourable reminded me of one of my favourite poems "Dulce et Decorum est" by Wilfred Owen during World War I. In this poem, Owen refers to the old age lie, "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori" - meaning, it is a sweet and fitting thing to die for one's country.

On a separate note, reading the historical section at the back of the book, they included the nationalities of aircrew involved in the Battle of Britain, and how many of them were killed throughout. I was very surprised, and proud, to note that there was one Palestinian pilot, who took part in this battle. As I am a Palestinian myself, I found that to be of extreme interest.
on 24 March 2014
Anyone who is interested in the Battle of Britain will find this personal account of what it was really like will appreciate this book. Although there have been many books writtedn on this subject this is slightly different and takes the reader with the author into the cockpit.
on 13 January 2014
got this for my 10 yr old daughter and she loved it, she really got into the book and its also helped her with a school project that will be coming up soon
on 27 June 2012
With so many books available on this subject, it was refreshing to read one which exuded reality, cheerfulness and optimism. No "poor us, so stretched, tired and overworked in the cockpit", more a case of " I'm young, lucky to be a pilot of a wonderful aircaft defending my Country, and let's get on with the story!".... even a hint of Biggles!! Well done, Chris Priestley - great account of your involvement and beautifully put across to the reader.
on 12 February 2015
A really disappointing book aimed for a young child and one full of stereotypes and myths perpetuated.

Far better books exist for even young children to read of this important part in our history.

Paul Davies BOBHSc
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2013
Felt it was a good factual account, but was not initially aware the characters of the story were fictional. I did enjoy the book but felt it was too condensed, hence the 4 star rating.
on 15 October 2015
My 10 year old son loved this book and so did I. The story was exciting and peppered with interesting facts about the war. Very well written too, a welcome change these days!
on 26 March 2014
A good read, although fictional characters , the truth wasn't far behind, a story of the struggle that pilots had both to do their duty and to stay alive.
on 26 October 2010
My 10 year old son started reading this series when he found u-boat at school. We've since ordered several more and he has read them avidly. He even had to dress up as a spitfire pilot for book week! A fantastic series for encouraging boys to read fiction since they have a strong historical content which will interest them.
on 7 August 2016
Since buying this version of My Story, I have bought several others. Good for helping children see how people felt in a different time period.