on 11 July 2015
Never known anything like it. I use mind maps at school with the children I support, not really knowing how they came about or much about mind maps. Im currently working through the book, and now having greater knowledge. Becoming a little more crazy with ideas. would recommend to others and use in conjunction with the memory book, the two books work hand in hand.
on 25 October 2012
The concepts in this book seem alright to me, but I am convinced that the book is well padded throughout. It will not do really to hope for the blank pages and the frequent massive text to go un-noticed and not to be thought of as making a book seem a book when it is little more than a pamphlet, we are not so foolish. I am sure that what is there is valuable, but could have been put into a third of the bulk, especially when the many examples of mindmaps are weeded out to keep the pertinent ones. This is the opposite of MULTUM IN PARVO.
on 22 April 2012
I was about to begin studying again after a long time of not doing any. The chances of me being successful was preying on my mind and i began to doubt myself. I found it a struggle to gather thoughts and think creatively.This book is written very clear and easy to understand. I am so glad that i found this book, in particular i found the short exercises were really helpful to my needs and also found this is a very interesting subject, i could not put the book down once i started reading it. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a related problem or just interested in how the mind works!
on 4 January 2013
I will leave this alone, as they simply did not encourage me in my essay writing. I think they can help, but do not suit everyone.
on 4 September 2013
Mind mapping seems like an intuitive way to get information down, and it is explained well in the book. But I had assumed since there was a relatively popular entire book on them that maybe there was more of an art to their effective use than I had thought. There was not. Tony Buzan had utterly milked the concept to the point of tedium by about halfway through, and he just. kept. going. His ability to continue writing without actually saying anything new would have been almost admirable if it weren't for the irony that he would continually reiterate what a great way of generating new ideas mind maps are. He would throw in long and utterly irrelevant passages that I found irritating and patronising, like including a big picture of a neuron, and a borderline pseudoscience description of how the structure of a neuron, the building block of the brain, mirrors the form of a completed mind map. So a mind map kind of looks like a brain cell? Big f***ing whoop, so does Lisa Simpson's head; what exactly is this supposed to prove?
On that note, I would also have liked reference to some actual scientific evidence that mind maps do everything Tony Buzan claims they do, rather than some bullcrap anecdote about a boy who was struggling at school, makes a mind map, and then shouts "I'm smart! I'm smart!" I s*** you not, that's pretty much all we actually get in the way of evidence for the idea that mind maps are the explosively instantaneous weapons grade brain-steroids that Tony Buzan endlessly asserts. I can only assume that they don't work quite as well as he claims, or we'd all be labouring to build a giant monument from the rubble of our former churches and false idols to celebrate Divine Overlord Tony Buzan's glorious conquest over all of Buzanistan, formerly known as Earth. I may be over-exaggerating slightly here, but all my sense of appropriately proportioned exaggeration has been confounded by the claims in this book.
Furthermore, I feel like mind mapping is intuitively easy to do, and most of the pointers given on mind maps, when Buzan does apparently remember that he's supposed to be writing an informative book about them and not just plugging his computer mind map program or reminding us that he invented them, were mostly just blindingly obvious. Advice like "Make sure to write clearly", and "writing words closer together allows you to add more words" could really only accurately be termed 'advice' for people who have such a rudimentary understanding of written language that they couldn't read the book anyway... the lucky sods.
So, to conclude, all the useful information from this book could be easily summarised in a lot less space than this review has taken up. I therefore recommend that you don't buy it, and instead simply Google 'how to mind map' or something.
on 12 January 2010
Whilst not wishing to discredit Tony Buzan's mind mapping 'invention', this book suffers from excessive self publicity/marketing, agrandisement, and non-essential text. It would benefit from considerable editing and simpler representation of the key points. This would make it easier to absorb the key points, and I would be more likely to recommend it to others.
11 Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2014
Not a Bad book, the instructions in there are great. however, I found the colour scheme, layout of the book, font colours and the shiny paper made it not the easiest book to read
Work WITH your brain and not AGAINST it. Our poor old brains aren't very good at remembering lists of stuff, basically. The great thing about Buzan's techniques is that they build on the way that the brain ACTUALLY WORKS i.e. making connections, creating pictures, making use of our imagination. Even the process of converting boring lists of information into visual form forces us to think about the material in a different way, and so helps us to understand it better. Buzan's techniques are an important part of an approach that is likely to bring success come exam time.
on 1 August 2012
As a professional, I always strive to better myself at work and in my personal life. Because life is very busy at work and at home, we often take little time to reflect on past events, to learn skills so one can improve in areas such as creativity, communication concentration, memory, or notes taking. I was looking for a different way in taking notes as well as problem solving that would allow me to think more freely. The book from T. Buzan provides tools to allow me to do just that. Like every new skill we learn, practice is an important aspect of learning. Therefore, to take this seriously, it is important to allocate time to go through the exercises and try to use the techniques whenever possible. Someone said to me recently: "you will only get back what you out in". For the techniques of T. Buzan to work for you, practice, practice, practice.
on 17 December 2014