Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2013
I had just finished reading the Seamus Heaney translation when I thought my grandson who is 10 would love this tale of the hero Beowulf. Obviously the Heaney version wasn't suitable for one so young but when I read the Morpurgo version I knew it would be just perfect for a 10 year old boy. The book is full of monsters and brave warriors without the soppy love stories though my grandson says he is OK with those as well!
on 3 February 2016
A very good interpretation by Morpurgo. My son and I read this together and really got the feel for Beowulf. This version uses a lot of word patterns and combinations similar to the Anglo-Saxon, which colors the descriptions of people and places. It's abridged enough to keep effectively to the main story line, so it will keep the interest of young readers. Nice work, Morpurgo.
on 15 April 2017
Great value and gift for my grand daughter she loves it.
on 4 June 2017
Lovely retelling of a classic.
on 18 July 2017
A brilliant translation
on 28 December 2015
Bought as a present for 9yr old daughter - its not been read yet but she was delighted to have received it.
on 13 April 2017
Beautifully written and evokes the oral tradition in its style. Manages to be challenging but accessible.
on 18 June 2017
Arrived promptly. Fantastic read. Tells the story brilliantly without the need for lots of blood and guts. I thought it was great, so did my son.
on 18 June 2017
Quick arrival. Hit with my class
on 12 December 2007
Beowulf is the oldest surviving Old English poem. It has been retold many times, by many great authors. This is Michael Morpurgo's version. It is a triumph. It is full of grandeur and passion and high drama, breathing new life into the oldest story known to the English. My sons listened as I read, then read it alone.

Beowulf is lavishly illustrated. The artist, Michael Foreman is, as ever, right on the button. His vision is strong and powerful, the colours are bold and the emotions are high but the whole feel is an otherworldy one. The atmosphere is one of high drama and passion but there is nothing to threaten,the effect is inspiring.

I was surprised by the lack of authorial explanation on the source poem, this is my only gripe.