on 8 October 2014
A marvellous rhyming story with deceptively simple illustrations. I read it to my grand-daughter tonight.... Then again...and one last time. Nice that is the little boy and Daddy woodpecker in this story. So often it is just mummy!
As he becomes better and better at pecking, there are more and more holes to stick little fingers through, and lots of vocabulary building as the child recognises the pecked objects. A lovely happy ending as the tired little woodpecker settles down in his nest, and Daddy kiss-kiss-kisses him to sleep. I suspect that this is one we will soon know by heart.
Really recommended.
on 15 June 2017
This is a staple in our bedtime reading. The design is so much fun...holes everywhere and brightly coloured pages. The text is engaging and mimics the woodpecker pecking away. My two year old loves it!
on 13 April 2017
A smashing book.
on 10 January 2016
Ingenious. Our 18 month old grandson almost knows this byheart
on 10 October 2014
This book is such a joy. I shouldn't admit it but I think I like it even more than my daughter does! There's three things I look for in a children's book - something fun and catchy to read aloud, something interactive for the child to do while you read, and something that won't take ages. This book ticks all three boxes perfectly. The rhymes are fun and cute and a joy to read aloud, the holes in the book allow your child to pretend to peck with his or her finger, and it only takes a couple of minutes to read. It's a brilliant, joyous book and thoroughly recommended.
on 7 October 2013
Clever, well illustrated, and about a Dad. I rate it alongside the very hungry caterpillar as a children's classic. It has some naughtiness, and much affection on it
on 12 April 2014
Bright, bold colourful illustrations with a full page of picture on the right and a full page of big text on the left. The story of a baby woodpecker finding his peck, by pecking holes in everything.
on 28 August 2014
We love this book so much we had to buy our own copy, after borrowing from the library for the 5th time running. It is just hilarious, and always has us in stitches. The holes through the pages reinforce the pecking theme and make it even more funny to small children. It is also nice to have a Dad featured in a story book too.
on 18 September 2016
Apart from the 'Maisy' series, this is probably the best thing Lucy Cousins has ever written, and is surely destined to become an all-time classic.

The rhymes are a bit of a mouthful, but it's a good story brimming with the wit of the very best picture books. It's the holes in the pages that sell it, however, as they can be just taken as a fun gimmick or be used to encourage counting skills in younger readers. The pages are also printed on card (or at least a thicker grade of paper), so they can withstand a lot of prodding and fiddling from little fingers.

To paraphrase the Daddy Woodpecker: "I love, love, love, love, LOVE this book!"
on 30 June 2014
Love reading this book to my 3 year old <3 <3 Originally borrowed a copy from the library but we've decided its going to be a classic so now we have our own copy!