Customer reviews

The Singing: The Fourth Book of Pellinor (The Books of Pellinor)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2017
I have thoroughly enjoyed this whole series, and the final book doesn't disappoint. It's hard to know what else to say without creating spoilers! If you've read the rest, you'll love this. If you haven't, then you really should.
on 14 September 2008
A fantastic end to a truly spellbinding quartet. Alison Croggon creats a rich, vivid world and characters with real depth; the books are brought to life. Formerly a poet, Croggon really can write compellingly, and the material in itself is a joy to read. Origional, exciting, and three other books in the quartet to enjoy before this one...

In this final book of Pellinor, Maerad of Pellinor and Cadvan of Lirigon embark on an arduous journey to find Maerad's brother, Hem, who is travelling with the Great Bard Saliman of Turbansk. They race against time as Sharma marches across Edil-Amarandh with his army of darkness, spreading destruction in its wake. Fate lies in the awakening of the treesong within the mysterious Elidhu, themselves a part of nature in Edil Amarandh (the world). If the singing does not prevail, the already dimmed light of this world may be crushed altogether.

Based on a collection of real poems, written by the main character Maerad herself and translated by the author, this story has a wonderful epic feel of depth and truth to it, even though powers sift through the tale that would be impossible in our world today. The books also contain notes in the back about the characters and translations, and this one contains a particularly interesting story about Cadvan as a child, which will shed light on some earlier parts of the story.

Having read these books just once, I will probably read them again in the future - they are the sort that, due to content and writing style, can be read over again. If you have not already read the first three books: The Gift, The Riddle and The Crow, then I would strongly recommend them as all are excellent. I would also advise reading them before you read this fourth one, The Singing.
on 22 August 2017
I am about halfway through this now and still can't put it down! I read all the predecessors and they never fail to disappoint! I can't wait to find out what happens next!
on 21 July 2017
all five books were a joy to readi really loved them all
on 8 September 2008
Croggon doesn't disapoint in the stunning conclusion to the Pellinor series. Fantastic. Loyal fans like me will gobble up the pages even as we feel sad the series is coming to an end. These books are literary treasures and I know I will read and re-read them for years to come.
on 11 September 2008
I too was eagerly awaiting this conclusion to the series and as soon as it arrived I settled down to read it from cover to cover. I know I'll read it again, as I will the entire series, but I must say I was a little disappointed this time. Don't want to spoil it for new readers but some of the issues from earlier books weren't really addressed. I think the book should have been longer!
on 3 October 2008
The three earlier books in this series are amongst the best fantasy novels I've ever read. Unfortunately, 'The Singing' is not, in my opinion, nearly so good. 'The Riddle', for instance, is a thrilling book from start to finish. It's shocking and visceral - the sort of book that has you anxious for the safety of its characters throughout. The problem, for me, with 'The Singing' is that it has nothing close to that excitement. In fact, it has very little tension, very few if any surprises, and most importantly didn't demand an engagement with its characters from this reader in the way 'The Riddle' demanded you sat up straight and paid attention.
Maered is so powerful in this book I didn't fear for her in the slightest. The amoral'elemental' potential towards evil at the root of her character (introduced in 'The Riddle') was really the aspect of her that would, considering her powers, make her interesting - again, I felt this aspect of her was just hinted at, and again, failed to generate tension or complexity in this novel. All the set pieces are anti-climaxes - neither the Landrost nor the Nameless One are seen, the battles with them are 'psychological'. The overall effect is woolly and unaffecting. Hem's story, perhaps surprisingly, (though 'The Crow' was excellent too!) has more tension and a sense of things being at stake - the scene where Hem fights for Saliman's life is the most powerful in the book. It's a terrible shame I feel because it was just the most brilliant series. My suspicion is that Alison Croggon wanted to provide a timely portrait of a world beset by war and environmental crisis, but the emphasis on flooded landscapes and wartorn communities alongside a slow paced, very 'psychological' novel produced, for me, a very muted, anticlimactic conclusion to this series.
on 21 August 2012
A captivating and intriguing story, of a magical and richly cultural society long gone.

I love this series and have reread it many a time... Croggon's career as a poet clearly comes through in this imaginative and impressive series. If I could compare it to anything I'd say that was a mixture of The Last Airbender and Lord of The Rings with a refreshing take on intensity and unexpected nature of feelings.

In the this last book, Maerad and Cadvan embark on the daunting and imperative task of finding her brother in order to complete The Singing; the prophetised act which will `unmake' the spell that binds the Nameless One to this world and will end his tyranny.

The story is kept interesting by switching between the perspectives of both Maerad and Hem, and as the story unfolds - outrunning the Black Army, Maerad's unexpected battle with the Landrost, Hem's struggle to save Saliman and the antipicated conclusion are great.
I commend Croggon on her ability to describe Maerad's psychological battles with the Landrost, and her fear of her growing and consuming power. Most definitively a break from the explosives and violence seen in some films nowadays!

Finally, I would say its a must read!! Could NOT put it down. The appendices with additional info on Cadvan's past and where the characters went from there was truly endearing.
on 13 December 2008
Alison Croggan suceeds with yet another brightly woven follow on in The Pellinor series, another book to keep & treasure, My heart felt thanks to Alison Croggan.
on 3 February 2009
I have the other three books and this book is just as compelling as othe others. I could not put it down. Thoroughly enjoyed it.