Customer reviews

on 25 April 2014
This is a short book I finished it in a rainy afternoon with a breaks for hot cups of tea. I enjoyed it, The characters situations - divorce, alcohol abuse, guilt, teenage angst and self image are written in an honest way making them believable and feel real. These believable "normal" characters with real life existences coincide with a supernatural world of missing time and ghosts and it works. It is easy to read and a wonderful way to spend a lazy afternoon.
on 14 April 2013
Fantastic. I have read this book almost five times. Great book & I loved the part where the author (Edward Hogan = BRILLIANT!) explain the place they were staying. It's like I have been there before. Exquisite! 5Stars.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 January 2018
Daniel's dad is taking Daniel to Leisure World Holiday Complex for some time away together. Daniel hates exercise and is overweight, so he isn't happy with this choice. His father wants them to get healthy, which means he tries to force Daniel to spend time doing what he hates the most, sport. Daniel is struggling in many different ways. His father is depressed and he's drinking too much, so it's Daniel's task to look after him. The holiday is a complete disaster and Daniel has an entire week to get through.

The holiday complex doesn't have a nice atmosphere and most people aren't friendly. When Daniel meets Lexi he's relieved he's found someone interesting to talk to. Lexi is a good swimmer. She's also really smart and they have a lot in common. However, Lexi is hurt. She's covered in bruises and every time Daniel sees her she's looking worse. What's going on with her, is she hiding a dark secret and is there anything Daniel can do to help her?

Daylight Saving is a beautiful gripping story. I was immediately intrigued by Lexi. It's clear there's something going on with her and I was curious to find out what it was. She's on her own in a creepy holiday complex, which is a great basis for a scary book. Daniel is smart and kindhearted. He does everything he can to help the people he loves, which regularly gets him in trouble. He's been through a lot and this nasty holiday with his father is something he absolutely doesn't need. He's sensitive and knows something isn't right. He's open-minded as well as clever and therefore it was fabulous to see the world through his eyes.

Edward Hogan has written a fantastic ghost story. I love a good spooky read and this book definitely falls into that category. I liked the original setting. The holiday park has a negative vibe, it's eery, there's no kindness and it's a terrible place to be. It's perfect for a good thrilling book. Lexi's mysterious circumstances are adding to the unnerving atmosphere, which is something I found completely spellbinding. I read Daylight Saving in one sitting, it's a wonderfully strange and captivating story.
on 30 August 2013
Daylight Saving is a thoughtful but fast paced ghost story/thriller set in a very modern leisure park inhabited by "prisoners of fun" who all have different personal problems. The protagonist, a teenage boy called Daniel, befriends a mysterious older girl and discovers that he has limited time to solve a mystery while at the same time grappling with contemporary issues such as low self-esteem, bullying, loneliness, parental breakup and poor body image.

Daniel matures rapidly in the course of a week as he discovers hidden resources and abilities as well as the importance of friendship and respect in personal relationships. The tension builds as we get closer and closer to the end of summer time and the tragic climax of the story, broken occasionally be comic interludes.

A well written story about likeable characters with human flaws.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 February 2012
When Daniel is taken to Leisure World by his father it really is his worst nightmare rather than an ideal fun family holiday. Overweight and unfit Daniel isn't a fan of sports and isn't looking forward to days full of tennis, cycling and swimming. After meeting Lexi things start to change, he is drawn to this mysterious girl and wants to uncover her secrets. What caused her injuries and why do they get worse every time he sees her? Is there any way he can protect her from something that has already happened?

On the surface Daylight Saving is a ghost story but underneath that Edward Hogan explores issues of family connections, alcholism and self confidence. Daniel is a character who is easy to relate to, he isn't your typical handsome hero but he has an inner strength that shines through as the story progresses. We get to see him grow from an unsure and shy teenager into a brave and confident young man and it was a pleasure to see the changes in him. Although Daniel's main goal is to try and help Lexi he learns a lot about himself and this helps him come to terms with the separation of his parents. His relationship with his father also changes a great deal as events bring them closer together than they've been in a long time.

I really enjoyed the way the author has made use of the extra hour given at the end of British Summer Time as such an important part of the story. I don't think I've seen time used in quite the same way before and it added an interesting dimension to the story. You are aware that this hour is going to have a big impact on both Daniel and Lexi but you have no idea how things will work out. I also really liked the Leisure World setting, I've never been to Centre Parcs but it had a similar feel to family holidays spent at Butlins which brought back some fun memories. The setting is like an extra character in the story and nothing about it is quite what it first seems, instead of being a family friendly location it has quite a sinister feel to it.

The story moves along at a good pace making Daylight Saving a fast and fun read. There are plenty of twists to the story and it takes you in a direction you won't be expecting. An enjoyable YA debut from Edward Hogan that has made me curious about his adult books and has me looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.
on 6 February 2012
As a fan of Edward Hogan's novels for adults, Blackmoor and The Hunger Trace, I was keen to read his first novel for young adults. It was as good as I had hoped it might be. The plot kept me turning the pages apace, and I'm sure I'll keep mulling over the characters and their feelings for a long time to come. I'd slightly fallen in love with overweight Daniel by the time I'd finished it! The emotionally intelligent exploration of loss and redemption shows that the author treats his YA readers with respect. Edward Hogan has a real knack for choosing the perfect setting for his novels: the ex-mining village in Blackmoor where noxious gases are building up beneath the ground ready to explode; the ailing Derbyshire safari park, which struggles to keep its wild animals penned in; and now this holiday park, where fun is mandatory and monitored and nothing is quite what it seems. I'm looking forward to more from Edward Hogan.
on 6 February 2012
Before I begin reviewing this book, I have to mention the book cover. If you saw my Really Random post last Tuesday, you would have seen the animated version of it and I have to say it truly is incredible. I was lucky enough to hear about the thought process that went into producing this cover and I found it thoroughly amazing.

As the story begins, you don't feel you are about to embark on a ghost story, but you are aware of a dark and sinister undertone as you analyse the first line. The book is told in first person from Daniel's point of view and you begin to unravel the mystery of Lexi as Daniel's begins to put the jigsaw pieces together. The spectral aspect of the story creeps up on you half way through the book and you feel compelled to find out more.

The majority of the time when you read YA books, you are confronted by the hot male lead. Daniel is not your atypical leading male. Slightly overweight and conscious of the way people view him, you instantly feel emotionally connected to him. He is just a teenage boy, who is trying to come to terms with his parent's separation and his father's insistent need for alcohol. No one seems to be looking out for Daniel; as the reader you feel as though you need to step into that role.

Lexi is a rather complex character and the changes that occur to her during the story, will make you feel rather uneasy. You will be dreading the future, alongside her as the events take place.

Leisure World intrigued me. Within the story, the complex gives off vibes of a perfect existence; everything is family orientated and wholesome. I love the way that the author turns that image on its head, creating an alternative macabre history.

I loved how the whole experience helped to heal Daniel's relationship with his father. The events of the week helped to cleanse them of their past, in the same way the water cleansed Lexi of her history.

I love a good ghost story and I found this one did not let me down. When I imagine how I would like a ghost story to be, then this is how I envisage it. Ghosts don't holler and wail in my opinion, they should appear as real as we do, giving the story that atmospheric feel with a sudden realisation. Daylight Saving is the type of book I would imagine Susan Hill writing if she were now debuting as a YA author; and we all know what amazing ghost stories she has gone on to tell.

I was really impressed by Edward Hogan's first YA book and I am now intrigued to read his adult fiction. I really hope he is planning to write more YA in the future, as he already appears to be developing some loyal fans.
on 28 September 2013
Ed Hogan's first two adult novels were mature, character centred, haunting, locality set books, with an increasing hint of J G Ballard. Daylight Saving continues that trend with a 'teenage fiction' book that will appeal equally to adults. Like all of Ed's books this lingered in the memory long after I'd finished it.