Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2013
I must begin by saying I have never read a book like this before. I usually avoid books that appear to be overtly pink and princessy, but lovely Hannah at Walker made such a great pitch for this book that I knew I had to give it a chance rather than pre-judging it. And I’m really glad I did.

This is a lovely book, I adored Lily, the character this first book focuses on, from the very beginning and really cared about what happened to her. She lives with her great aunt, a dreadful woman who treats her so badly, I spent the whole book wishing for her to get her comeuppance!

The Stargirl Academy itself seems like a really lovely place, I really liked the staff members that we meet in the first book – especially Fairy Mary McBee. The ethos I love too – the focus is on using the spells they learn to help other people, I think this adds a lot to the overall warmth of the book.

I think this series of books will be really popular, I know I’m a complete convert and will most definitely be reading the other five in the series – I need to know how the girls earn the rest of their stars!
on 5 July 2013
Originally published on Serendipity Reviews.
When my girls were growing up, one of our favourite series to read from was the Tiara Club books by Vivian French - such a talented author who knew how to make a book sparkle with magic so easily. So I was over the moon to hear that the author had written a brand new series for girls. Aimed at a slightly older market, it would appeal to the girls who had just grown out of the Tiara Club series and were ready for something new. The author has taken hold of the fairy godmother stories and given them a modern makeover.

Now I have a huge problem about telling you anything about the book. I made the following promise when I read the book.

`I will never speak of Stargirl Academy to others outside these cloudy walls, whatever they ask and whatever they offer. This I solemnly promise, for now, always and forever.'

I signed it and everything! So what can I tell you without breaking my promise. Well there are six awesome girls who have all been sworn into the Stargirl Academy and each has a book written all about them. There are two other girls who really think they are older, wiser and superior than the others but I knew straight away they weren't as clever as they thought.

Each book stars with a roll call of characters each with their picture, just like the kind of books I used to write as a child - I always had hand drawn pictures of all the characters before the story would even begin. The book also includes two letters, one from Fairy Mary who is head teacher at Stargirl Academy and one from the main character of the story. There is also a copy of a couple of pages from the spell book!

The story is entertaining and easy to read. A strong theme of friendship and helping each other wafts off the pages. The characters are simply magical. I was completely lost in a world full of magic spells and excitement. I can see children going mad for this wonderful new series. Every child deserves to experience the magic of Stargirl Academy.