Customer reviews

Goldilocks
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 April 2015
This is beautiful book which plays very cleverly on the Goldilocks story.

My grandson who is 5,loves the humour in the stories and the tabs to pull but most of all he loved the Bliim and was very intrigued by the idea of making up a new language, since reading it we have been making up silly (Bliim) words for everyday objects. As an adult, I really appreciate how Allan Ahlberg can write a fun entertaining story, which also introduces children to the idea of creativity. His other book The Pencil had the same effect as Oliver was fascinated by the idea, that what the pencil drew, became part of the story.

Reading this book also sent us straight to the bakery afterwards, the repeated message 'Bears Love Buns' was too much for us. We loved the book,we loved the buns.
on 20 January 2013
I bought this for my granddaughter aged 6 and she loved it. So did I, I have to admit. It was fun and funny and made both of us laugh.
on 18 April 2013
As a collector of different versions of traditional tales and stories this really enhances my collection .... the pictures provoke lots of language
on 14 December 2014
funny
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There is a wonderful concept behind this book - Allan Ahlberg has taken the story we all know, and then developed some variations. There are The 33 Bears, including teenage bears who don't see anything because they are dawdling in the woods; The Blim, a version set in the future with lots of funny words children will love; and The Furniture, telling a side of the story no one considered before. Finally there's a version with lots of extra characters, and then the story of Goldilocks alone.

There's plenty for children to enjoy, and parents will appreciate the cleverness as well. The stories are short and yet richly told, and would be a joy for bedtime reading.

Added to this is the actual quality of the book, as it includes sections to pull and change, and the illustrations are charming.

As an added bonus, in the middle of the book is an extra small book. The idea is that the town have gone to see the play of the story, and included is the script. Within this little book the charming illustrations, and warm touches of humour continue. My daughter surprised me by reading that book first, and we both loved the detailed pop up within it.

This book would make a wonderful present, and seems suitable for a range of ages - younger children will enjoy having it read to them, whilst older ones will enjoy discovering the little surprises. Plus I also suspect adults will enjoy it too. ;)
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 March 2015
good service and product
on 27 February 2015
cool x
on 27 February 2015
This is a great read. For the right reader. It's not for the youngest as it's long, it plays with convention in different (confusing) ways, and some of the language is hard to access (which is fan for adults by the way).

It's the Goldilocks story. Or stories. As the tale is retold again and again, where its now 33 bears, now from the point of the furniture, from future alien bears... I loved it. My son mostly did. He's four. He loved the story where characters from other fairy tales came in, he thought this was brilliant. He was a little flummoxed by the alien language though so I had to change it back tonregulsr words, which was hard - he's just a little young for it I think.

I thought it was hugely inventive and loved Jessica's drawings - very much in the family style. The pop ups are good though there could be more of them.

Our copy was missing the mini book in the middle (it was a library copy) so I can't comment on that.

This is one I'd recommend for teachers of 5-7 year olds. Excellent for Fairy Tale topics, and to help with playing with words and stories.
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a child I adored The Jolly Postman and was delighted to see a new book that appeared to be quite similar, again by Allan Ahlberg.

Like The Jolly Postman, this one combines a fun and interesting story (not your normal Goldilocks tale) along with appealing, adorable illustrations and a little bit extra to keep you (and the kids) entertained. The little tabs to pull give the book something magical and will really help to keep the kids entertained. As such, it's a book that they can look at by themselves, or one that can be enjoyed together with parents. It's also fantastic for adults if, like me, it takes you back to the enjoyment of your childhood.

I really recommend this book. It's fun, interesting and will be a book that will be treasured for years to come.
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
being a great fan of the jolly postman, i was expecting a similar book by the same authors.

whilst the pictures and story telling are as super, there are less little tabs and interesting bits for the children to interact with.

however, it is still a beautiful little book which kids love, and tells the story in a modern way which serves to render the kids both amused and spellbound.

definitely worth buying.

My sister is a teacher and asked the children of her school; 'Class 2 (6-7 yrs old) Westbrook Lane Primary' to read and review the book; this was the response;

We enjoyed reading Goldilocks, here is what we think of it.

We all enjoyed reading the book. We couldn't pick a favourite part because there are so many good bits. Some of the best bits are: the Blim, the talking furniture and lots of fairytale characters getting squashed in the cottage together.

The front cover will attract you because it lists the titles of all the different Goldilocks stories you will find inside. We enjoyed using the pop ups and lifting the flaps. They made us laugh!

Families would enjoy sharing this book together. Younger children would like it because it's funny. Everyone who reads this book will love it!