Customer reviews

I'm the Best
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2014
I bought this book as a replacement for a copy that had fallen apart through over use. My toddler loved it. It has a great moral without being tiresome, the writing is rhythmic and engaging and the illustrations vibrant and attractive. I highly recommend it.

Beware, however, when ordering from Amazon. When it arrived I realised that I had the North American edition not the UK edition. I returned it not because of any snobbery but because it detracted from the quality of the book. The illustrations have been shrunk on the page so are less impressive. Worse the language has been changed to American usage. The ladybird becomes a ladybug and crucially the 'I Win' becomes 'I won' in the refrain, spoiling the alliterative quality. Knowing how good it could be it really jarred reading it like this. I think it is pretty shoddy of Amazon to be selling a book on their UK website, to a UK customer when it is a US edition.

In conclusion, buy this book, it's great, but perhaps not from here.
5 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2016
Great book which helps small children understand that everyone has their own gifts and strengths. Beautifully illustrated. Great for my 2yr old boy.
on 8 June 2017
So recommended
on 9 May 2015
My daughter's favourite story
on 4 March 2018
Lucy Cousins is more famous for the Maisy series, but here she proves that she is more than capable of coming up with other brilliant stories for kids. This one describes a dog who is convinced he is the best at everything, only for him to find that he's sorely mistaken. Great for teaching kids that it's not always important to be the winner.
on 27 January 2016
I wanted to write a review as i didnt get this off here but my daughter got it from a cheistmass party at school its a brilliant stroy really sends a nessage across to say u dont have to be the best at everythink and always remember your friends may not be able to do the stuff you can but they can stuff that you probably cnt do so bear show off and give ur friends a chance x
on 10 March 2016
I love this book! My 2 year old does as well, but I really look forward to reading it and we both laugh! Sometimes we need to read it twice!
on 15 October 2011
My 4 year old has been quite the fan of Lucy Cousin's Maisy mouse and friends over the years, but I must admit I never quite shared her enthusiasm. I'm the Best however, is a huge step up.
The story concerns a boasting dog who upsets his many differently abled friends, but who ends up (mostly) learning his lesson by the end. It's funny and cute with a good central message, conveyed with a wink.
Adopting a looser feel for the visuals, while retaining the essence of her style, has really worked for Lucy Cousins too.
This book is vastly more visually appealing than the somewhat stiff Maisy illustrations.
All in all, a little pearler.
on 7 October 2011
Fantastic illustration and characters are as good as Lucy Cousins Maisy books.
Borrowed the book from the library for my nearly 3 year old daughter will order it from Amazon as soon as free shipping to New Zealand is available again.

Hopefully Lucy Cousin will write more books about the dog, mole, goose and the ladybird.
on 24 October 2014
Excellent story. Adults and children will love it and teaches a great lesson through it's story. Highly recommend for over 3 's.