Customer reviews

Format: Board book|Change

on 22 April 2010
I have bought this book again and again as a present to give to new babies - in fact I'm just about to buy another one! The illustrations are beautiful, in the same way as Eric Carle (of The Very Hungry Caterpillar), and the cut out cardboard pages are wonderfully inventive. The text is simple and charming, and whilst being perfect for teaching babies to speak, it can last a child several years. I now use it as a reading practice book for my 5-year old.
Highly recommended. Petr Horacek's books for older children are also wonderful.
on 22 March 2011
The first time I read this to my then-14 month old, he laughed his head off - it has been a huge favourite of his ever since. I have bought a host of Petr Horacek's books. This one bears all the hallmarks of his work: the layout is inventive, the illustrations are bold and interesting, the text is very simple and allows you to come up with sound effects or to use your hands/the pages to add a physical element to illustrate what you're reading (e.g. "flap flap flapping" - you can flap the page back and forth to show the bird's wings flapping, or you could flap your hands). I would highly recommend Petr Horacek's books generally, but this is a particularly good one.
on 24 June 2011
Very cute book - with cut out bits which are effective. Useful first thing if your little one won't eat breakfast as it ends in the birds in the nest being given breakfast and you can they do a 'now it's time for your breakfast' which occasionally works... Apart from that it is a lovely book, good flow of words to describe what is happening (I could probably recite it all off by heart...) I would recommend this, the cat one and the train one as the best of the series from those I have.
on 5 January 2017
We first read this book to our little daughter after loaning it from a local library. She loved it so much and missed it when it was returned that we had to buy one for her. The book is durable so will last even when it is getting twisted and shaken and shook and the pages are clear. Each of the authors books also have a neat link from one page to the next.
on 2 September 2011
My wife discovered Petr Horacek books and they are brilliant! Each one has something unique in terms of the pages and the art is beautiful. The stories are short and simple -- perfect for reading to our baby boy.
on 26 January 2017