on 31 May 2015
Really great adaptation, I'm using this with a lower KS2 class, as the Puffin classic version was very long-winded and the text too old-fashioned for my class. This retains the creativity of Swifts original with some wonderful descriptive language that is accessible to KS2 children, and the illustrations are just fantastic. My class pore over it and beg for more pages to be read each day.
on 11 November 2017
Lots of fun for a ten year old.
on 20 December 2014
Great book.
on 22 February 2015
Good packaging. Book just as described. Thanks
on 17 June 2015
The content of the book is great but I was very annoyed at the quality of the product that we received. It was birthday gift for my son. I purchased what I thought was a new book but what I received was a book with one whole page ripped, there was no book jacket and sticky marks on the front cover, therefore it feels like a used book. My son was very keen to keep it rather than have to wait while I returned it to you, but disappointed that page was ripped and feels bit tatty.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 25 February 2009
I love Chris Riddell's books and got this as a Christening present for a nephew. I then got another copy as I kept wishing that I'd looked at it more closely. My 7 year old twins begged me to read it to them and they loved it. You might think that a book from the 18th century would be stuffy and difficult but they really enjoyed it especially when Gulliver pees on things! I haven't read the original so I don't know how much the author adapted it but as a grown up you can appreciate the satire and as a child you can enjoy some of the jokes and the magical pictures. One to treasure!
on 1 November 2004
A brilliant and faithful retelling of Swift's fantastical tale, more readable for the young than Swift's slightly stodgy (certainly to modern readers) original. What makes this book really stand out is the magical illustrations- beautiful, funny and insightful. There is even a nod towards the Grown-Ups (who may be reading it to younger children, although may enjoy reading it for themselves whilst hiding it inside the covers of The Lancet) with touches such as a politician being depicted as Tony Blair. Delightful.
on 29 January 2011
This is a superb book for any collection for a reader of any age, I thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations, and also the retelling of the classic satire by Swift, this edition makes it much more accessible for all audiences.
on 1 October 2007
This book is incredibly well produced for the cost - the stories are clearly described, and can be easily followed / read by children from around 8 to 12 years I'd say. But the most impressive thing about the book is the accompanying drawings - there are a huge number of wonderful illustrations, immensely detailed and pitched very well to support the texts and bring children further into the stories. This is a fantastic book, and great value