Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 March 2010
This is an excellent edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Beautifully illustrated. It captured the imagination of our 8y girl and 4y boy. Highly recommended for reading with children.
on 9 April 2010
Lovely illustrations by Helen (We're Going on a Bear Hunt) Oxenbury. Nice big text so you can read it to your children or new readers can read it to themselves. The story you already know. I will definitely be investigating the other books in the Walker Illustrated Classics range if they're all as good as this book.
on 21 November 2012
This is a lovely edition of the wonderful 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'. My daughter is 3 and loves being read to, we are reading her a few chapters at a time and she is really enjoying it. The illustrations are lovely and the text is bold and easy on the eyes. I highly recommend this edition.
on 12 October 2014
Bought this for my 6 year old grand-daughter as she's young enough that she still likes lots of pictures. This is the full original story but with brilliant more modern illustrations. Plus the print is large enough that in a couple of years she'll be able to read it herself (and I can read it to her without my glasses!).
Definitely recommend this version
My (7.5 yrs) son is going to see Alice in Wonderland at the theatre this Christmas, so we thought we'd read the book first as a bedtime story. I hadn't realised it was the original text, and not re-written, so I struggled a little with some of the archaic language, but it didn't detract at all for him (although I had to explain a few bits eg Blacking for shoes, and certain turns of phrase). It certainly provided a discussion point!

I'd forgotten just how surreal the whole story is - but he really 'got' this - after all it is the story of a dream.

The illustrations are much more modern than the text (Alice's micro-mini dress was certainly not what Lewis Carroll had in mind!), and they are beautiful. My son would have preferred more of them, though.

Lovely book, but remember it is the original, and today's children may not all appreciate the old-fashioned language.
on 31 January 2013
a beautiful version of this old favourite. I love the illustrations and the setting out of the type face on the page.The paper is highly glazed which also adds to the luxury feel. A lovely reading experience.
on 21 August 2011
My daughter needed to read this classic for school. She is not a confident reader. The large print and lovely illustrations, which appear frequently, were perfect to keep her motivated to read it.
on 29 April 2013
I chose this book because I wanted a colourful edition of Alice in Wonderland. It certainly fulfils my remit. Would recommend to anyone wanting an 'Alice' book. It's a bit scary though for children!
on 21 October 2014
After having great success reading "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" (Dalmation Press, abridged and illustrated) to my daughter, I bought this as well as Sterling Illustrated Classics "The Jungle Book" to compare publishers. Walker Illustrated Classics was definitely the winner for us. My 5 year old is patient and enjoys chapter books but still requires regular pictures to keep her on track. Both publishers print at least one small illustration on nearly every 2-page spread, but the Walker book has a much larger, more legible (important at dimly lit bedtime!!), and well spaced font which means there is half as much text accompanying each illustration compared to the Sterling. Compared to Ingpen's illustrations in the Sterling book, Oxenbury's illustrations in the Walker book are bright and engaging, we enjoy talking about how the book and movie are different from one another which includes of course the appearance of the characters. I am definitely going to purchase Walker's "Alice Through the Looking Glass" to read next, and recommend this edition for all children just starting to enjoy chapter books.
on 30 December 2015
Lewis Caroll's classics have been favourites of mine since I was a child. Helen Oxenbury's illustrations provide a brilliant and amusing modern update to Tenniel's originals.