Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 May 2011
At first, there doesn't seem to be much to the plot or depth of the story but like most of Anthony Browne's books, you will find something new every time you look at it that you haven't noticed before.

The story is about two siblings with gender stereotypical personalities and their attempt to resolve their differences by their mother's insistence. Their relation with one another change through a series of strange events.

Clearly inspired by well known fairy tales,the illustrations are dark and rich in symbolism. The sequence of events from the climatic point of the story also reminded me of a famous Hans Andersen story but I shall not reveal it here for those who wish to read this gem of a book.

Like all of Anthony Browne's books, the value is in looking over it again and discussing its deeper meaning and empathy with its characters.
on 1 December 2011
Lovely story, great illustrations.
I used in my 'adventure stories' literacy unit, and although the some of the language is a little 'old fashioned', the children loved the plot and characters.
Would recommend this book :)
on 28 May 2016
Not blown away on first reading though did have a nice eerie atmosphere. My six year old was a bit underwhelmed. Reminded me of all things of The White People by Arthur Machen! Will read again at some point. Bit similar to, but not as satisfying as Into The Forest.
on 21 March 2011
We used this book when we were learning about adventure stories. We enjoyed this story because the characters were interesting and the pictures gave us lots of detail and were very imaginative.

The story is about 2 siblings who are not at all alike. The brother plays football and likes getting dirty while the sister likes reading about goblins and witches.

One day their mother tells them to go outside together and be nice to each other for once.

Jack finds a dark, gloomy tunnel and dashed through while Rose couldn't decide whether to go through or not. She was close to tears.

We really liked this book and think other children around the world should read it. It is a good book for 4-8 year olds.
on 7 December 2008
Recently used this book to teach adventure/mystery stories to year 3 class. Children loved the characters (brother and sister) as well as the mysterious aspect of what happened to Jack. Great for drama!
on 25 February 2015
i use this book at work with children, and they love imagining whats through the tunnel. good for eal students as well as children who enjoy a good book. anthony brownes illustrations are mesmerising as ever..a classic modern day kids book!
on 2 February 2009
I bought this book for my children ( 5 and 6 years old). I think it's a very nice book, the meaning of the story between the brother and the sister it's very nice. The pictures of the book are amazing, by only watching the pictures you can guess the feelings of the children. My kids love it and me too.
on 21 June 2016
My 5 year old and I love Anthony Browne books and this was no exception. The first time I read it my daughter asked me to read it again immediately after. And again. And, as with all of Anthony Browne's books, it opened up avenues for loads of really interesting conversations between the two of us. My girl loved it so much she took it to school with her the next day to show it to her class as the words are perfect for her reading level (yet the message within the story would also be suitable for slightly older children).
I might add that, due to her obsession with the film, Return to Oz, my daughter loves anything that involves people being turned to stone!
on 14 April 2014
very impressed by the book ,the pictures are great to talk about as there is so much in them.
The written content supports the story and allowed us to go off track and revisit the story as there is so much in it without words.
on 11 July 2010
A very efficient delivery service. I used this for Literacy lessons with my Year 3 class and they loved it. They were fascinated when I read the story to them and I could hear a pin drop as they waited to find out what was through the tunnel. Lots of discussion about feelings. A brilliant book as always by Anthony Browne