on 6 March 2017
One of my 5-year old son's favourite book. Very informative and engaging.
on 18 July 2017
FBulous
on 18 May 2005
Another fabulous book by naturalist-turned-author Nicola Davies. My three year old daughter was terrified of snorkelling until she read Surprising Sharks and learned about these amazing animals. The bright colours and groovy piccies are a plus and the information-packed pages are great, especially with the way they are laid out so that you can skim or delve into the various topics. But what really sets this book apart is Nicola Davies' humane voice, which always respects other species and what they add to our world. A great read for the brave and aid to the timid.
on 20 January 2011
Love this book. Absolutely beautiful. The pictures are great the writing is so beautiful we really felt FOR the sharks!! My 4 year old loves this book so much and she has learnt so much about Sharks. Last evening she made a lovely picture of a tiger shark. It really inspired her!! I loved the other book about the Big Blue Whale too. Plan to get more books in the series. And by the way if you get the audio book it is even better. The narration is great and adds more interest with just enough music:)
on 21 December 2012
I thought this book was just splendid. I loved the illustrations. Nicola Davis manages to be educational and entertaining at the same time. The illustrations were colourful and fabulous. Plenty of information for parents here too. My 6 year old child was just old enough to read it too and was riveted. It certainly puts things in perspective where the actual balance of power lies between the two species. I can highly recommend this book and ALL the nature books she writes. I am a great fan of this author and she has inspired my daughter to be more interested in and protective of nature.
on 27 May 2013
Not much of a story line, but the bright pictures keeps the interest going through the book. Lots of facts which is nice, but as a story its not our favourite.
on 2 November 2012
My 4 year old son got this book in a party bag so I didn't look at it before reading it. I sat down with my two kids 2 & 4 yrs and read it to them. I was surprised at the tone of the book and found myself very quickly having to change the language used into more child friendly words. The first page reads "You're swimming in the warm blue sea. Whats the one word that turns your dreams into a nightmare? What's the one word that makes you think of a giant man-eating killer? Shaaaarrrkk!" Further on in the book it goes on to say "And then when they are close enough for the kill, they feel the crackle of their prey's living nerves, so they bite in just the right place ... no matter what the prey! Wheather it's plankton ... or people! Oh yes, it's true - some sharks do kill people; about six of us every year."

I personally thought this kind of graphic language and the use of such strong words unsuitable for my small children. I didn't want them never to dare to go into the sea again! It is a shame as there are really good parts to the book, my son really enjoyed looking at the different sized sharks and learning their funny names.

My advice would be to read it first, it may well not scare some smaller children but in my opinion it's suited to an older age range than the front cover suggests.
on 10 January 2013
My daughter of 4 years absolutely loves this book and the series is truly fabulous for those interested in nature.
on 23 June 2013
This is a great book which I needed for a topic at work. Full of useful information and lots of pictures.
on 18 December 2016
Super book full of brilliant pictures and facts. Children loved it!