on 4 May 2007
I read this with a Y8 class over a few lessons and they were hooked from the start. Although it's short, it's perfect for 10 minutes at the end of a lesson or as a short class reader for a few lessons. The girls were not convinced to begin with but with some speculation throughout the first chapter they became intrigued.

The plot is great - think Cluedo set on an Island. The characters are all funny with something endearing about all of them. The children were left guessing right up to the end which made it worth while.

A lovely cost effective book that was just right!
on 27 October 2006
Probably the best Horowitz story I have ever read.

He is my favourite author and always has been. The way he can include horror into a very funny story emphasises his ability to write in different styles and creates appreciative writing styles for different audiences.

This Diamond brother story is the best in the series. The brothers travel to a claustrophobic island where murders are taking place, but no one knows who is doing the.

The story is very exciting because of the mystery surrounding the plot. No one knows what is happening, creating great tension and mysterious things keep taking place. The use of Tim's pathetic self with terrible humour allows heavy chuckles when reading.

The cleverness of Nick is great as Horowitz writes from his point of view, allowing us an inside into his clever detective mind.

The murder conventions are great and captivate the genre brilliantly. The clues leading up to a brilliant conclusion are very well throughout out and engage the readers to thin for themselves about who the murderer really is.

The setting is also very well described and adds to an already tense plot.

A short story with exciting scenes, mystery and suspense running throughout, comedy, and intriguing character add up to one of the most exciting mysterious books I have ever read.
on 8 March 2007
This is a realy entertaining book. It is very funny and has many grusome murders! It should appeal to anyone who likes detective stories, young and old. It is always easy to pick up and read and is never boring. The only reason it got four stars was because it is really quite short. But for £1 you can't go wrong!
on 23 January 2014
I read this book to my year 3 class in Southampton. We chose this book because we felt it would appeal to boy readers and it was also short - only 80 pages. This made it perfect for keeping the children's attention and creating learning tasks based on the story.

But what did the children think...

"It was mind-blowing. It was awesome because it was creepy and shocking, whilst being funny and interesting."

"The book did make me have a few bad dreams because it had a lot of people being killed in it but I am pleased that we finished it because I now feel a lot better about it."

"Tim is my favourite character because he takes baths with plastic ducks, does silly things and is generally quite stupid."

"I want to go to the library and get it out so that I can read it again."

The children really enjoyed the book, even though it was a bit scary at times for them. As teachers, we edited what we read to them slightly so as to cut out some of the more gruesome parts - even though nothing in the book is too graphic.
As a class, we would recommend this book for children in year 4 (8-9 year olds) and older. There are some year 3 children though who would really enjoy this book though.
on 10 August 2013
I read this book before I passed to my children of 9 and 7 years old who were very much engrossed into it and loved it.
This classic detective story plot reminded me a lot of agatha christy stories. The guests are trapped on the island and are killed one by one. There are a lot of humour in the book which makes this story particularly attractive.
When I read it, I thought what a standard and simple plot, how easy it is to write a bestseller. But in reality it's probably not that easy.
on 19 December 2010
This is a brilliant book filled with danger, excitement and cliffhangers! it is short but filled with lots of adventure, it is not for the faint-hearted as there are some gruesome murders! It is very cleverly written and is wrapped up brilliantly. I would recommend this book for about 9+ (I am 11). It is highly addictive and you won't be able to put it down!
Another amazing book by Anthony Horowitz.
on 21 February 2013
Our son just loves this set of books (age 9 1/2) - though I can't remember which one his favourite is.
The set a great start to heavier crime writing - He's now moved on to "Stormbreaker" by Anthony Horowitz and it's delightful watching him so engrossed. He has made me read one or two of them to be able to share his excitement.
They are very well written and see very age appropriate for him.
Highly recommend
on 29 April 2003
I was pleased to see that Anthony has written more Diamond brothers books after The Falcons Malteaser,Public Enemy Number Two and South by South East.My friend lent me I know what you did last Wednesday, and I couldn't put it down.A lot of murdering but has an imaginative and original plot.Horowitz is an extremely talented man.
on 29 May 2009
I put fab for BOY readers simply because by son is a reluctant 10 year old reader (as opposed to my bookworm daughter) and he devoured this book and all the other books in this collection. it is a detective book with the main character being a 13 year old boy, full of funny moments and easy to read, so is perfect for KS2 primary school kids.
on 11 July 2012
I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST WEDNESDAY was one of the best books I have ever read! It had the perfect combination of rib-cracking jokes and exciting suspense. Anthony Horowitz was just brilliant and leaving clues and red-herrings, and at the end there was a GIGANTIC twist that left me shocked! I'm a bit mixed about Horowitz. I hated Granny, Groosham Grange was funny but not that smart, and the French Confection was too dull, but this was a classic murder mystery! FANTASTIC! 10/10!