Customer reviews

Where's Wally? In Hollywood
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2017
Every Wally was circled with pen!! So the book is rubbish!! I bought it and didn't read as my little boy was too small. He is now 2 so I got it out of the cupboard and saw this on every page. Very upset as the book is now pointless, I might as well throw it away!!
on 1 August 2016
Great Product
on 16 December 2017
where's Wally ????
on 22 November 2011
Another typical 'where's wally' book. Provided enjoyment the first couple of times, but now that my daughter remembers where to look, it's been sat on the shelf! This could have been thicker considering the price.
on 26 September 2012
i brought this for my 5 an 7 year old boys to share well it so happens they where like angels all Saturday afternoon all i got was a little chuckle when waldo was found but the inevitable DAD we cant find him so they hand me the book then an hour an so later i finally hand them the book back after me really enjoying the task at hand it is a wonderful book great size for little hands an a wonderful addition to any activities time i know my boys have been asking me for waldo instead of there PS's so yes i am very happy bargain price and hours of entertainment certainly will be investing in the rest of amazons waldo books :) thank you and enjoy
on 28 February 2017
Always good fun, and sometimes a good bedtime alternative. Bought this for my four year old who is starting to think it's fun to find Wally
VINE VOICEon 20 November 2010
If all you do is choose to look for the hidden figures and objects, then much of the pleasure will pass you by. There is so much joy to be had by actually examining the scenes themselves and enjoying the incidents - many of which remind me of those in the old-style Dandy and Beano with little episodes of pranks, slapstick and mayhem, but also include some lovely puns (for those who find puns lovely). The joys of the wild west scene have been mentioned elsewhere, but this is a good example of why so many adults enjoy these books: it's because there are so many jokes that adults can enjoy, and those of us who like puns have a riotous time. Apart from the stampede, this scene includes the Loan Arranger, a gold rush (down the street), a gold yours (think about it), a saloon called the Tame East, a horse-drawn waggon (= waggon drawn by artistic horse), a splendid sign for the Pioneer Saloon, 'this town isn't big enough for both of us', cowboys painting the town red, a gallop off into the sunset, General Store, Billy the Kid, a livery unstable, a waggon train, real horse shoes, holding up the stage...and more. All great fun, and an extra frisson when you find them. The other film genre scenes also contain oodles of jokes like these. I've no doubt that children will find the characters and objects more quickly than adults, but I suspect that many of the jokes will pass them by. The Wally series is one of those promoted for children, but I expect that there are many of adults like me, without children, who buy them for their own enjoyment. Of course, I do still look for the hidden people and objects, but I am so often diverted by what's actually going on in the scene that it doesn't bother me whether I find them or not. There's more invention in one of the Wally scenes than you'll find in many novels. As far as I'm concerned, Martin Handford is the Terry Pratchett of the comic illustration, and I can't think of higher praise. Buy it - even if you feel you have to pretend it's for a child.
on 19 December 2008
Fantastic book for children and adults alike. I think Chidlren are more able to solve the "where's Waly" than adults! Great Family entertainment. reasonable price. Fantastic gift!
on 23 February 2004
As the Where’s Wally? franchise expands, there are now lots of other characters and items to look for besides the mysterious stripy-jumpered Wally. In each of the twelve Hollywood-movie-themed pictures, the reader can be on the lookout for Woof the dog, Wendy, Wizard Whitebeard, Odlaw (Wally’s arch-enemy), a key, a bone, a wizard’s scroll and a lost can of film. If that isn’t enough, the back two pages of the book contain a list of around twenty specific characters/situations to look out for on each page. Try to find ‘three Trojans drinking coffee’ in scene three, or ‘a soldier on the wrong set’ in scene five.
The magnitude of detail and colour on each page is nothing short of breathtaking. Artist of the Where’s Wally? series, Martin Handford, is clearly exceptionally talented and the book managed to entertain (and infuriate) me for long periods of time. It’s also a book to revisit, as in time you find yourself inevitably forgetting where the key objects in each scene lie, and so begin hunting for Wally and his friends all over again.
My favourite Hollywood set from the book would have to be ‘The Wild, Wild West,’ even though the vivid colours also make it one of the most difficult to spot Wally in. In typical old-west style, the page is scattered with saloons, cowboys, and an amusing – though unusual – buffalo ‘stampede,’ the stampede being a set of buffalo featured on postage stamps coursing through the scene. The most difficult scene of all has to be the final one – ‘The Where’s Wally? Musical,’ in which hundreds of Wallys, Wendys, Wizards and Odlaws dance in time with the music, and it is up to the reader to spot the real characters from the impostors! It’s a great book, and if you enjoy it as much as I did, other books in the Wally series include ‘Where’s Wally Now?’ and ‘Where’s Wally? The Fantastic Journey.’ Treat yourself.
on 8 January 2011
The Where's Wally books are great fun for children and adults and it can keep you amused for hours! It's not only finding Wally in all the pages, but also all his friends (many of them) and different items too. There's also a handy tick list at the back of the book. The book is a nice A4 size so it's big enough to see what's on the pages. I would recommend it to others.