Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 May 2012
What a beautiful book this is. The publishers are right. Mark is a breathtaking talent. I bought this for a 2 year old grandson then ordered one for a 5 year old and another for myself. The words and images work beautifully together. One to keep on a special shelf and return to frequently. I love the mix of lyricism and inter-action One for reading aloud please.
on 27 July 2017
I was initially drawn to this book as I thought it would look super trendy on my sons display bookshelf. I would never of known how much my son would love this book. Beautiful drawings and so well written. It's a pleasure to read this, even if it's been a month straight at bedtime.
on 9 July 2016
Beautiful book, someone has really taken their time and put a lot of love in this book. It is gorgeous and a must have for any child age 5+. One to treasure.
on 8 June 2017
Beautiful book with wonderful illustrations. Perfect to encourage bright youngsters
on 12 June 2013
I bought this book for one of my grandchildren and have since bought it for another. Also just had to buy a copy for myself as Mark Hearld's collaged illustrations are so wonderful.
on 31 August 2017
Excellent A+++
on 1 August 2015
kids loved it
on 14 May 2012
Beautiful and lyrical, we love this book.

However, BEWARE - this is the exact same book as Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature published by Candlewick Press which is being recommended as a 'buy together' by Amazon. This printing has English spellings (colour, Mum etc.)
on 3 March 2015
I'm one of the many fans of this lovely book. I've bought several copies for friends with kids of the appropriate ages (quite a broad age group, too). But I secretly like flipping through it myself!
on 10 July 2013
Beautiful. Exquisite. Stunning.

The first three words that spring to mind every time I have occasion to open 'A First Book of Nature'.

Originally given to my son as a third birthday gift from a Godfather, we must have looked at it every other day since.

Why?

Well, first off, it looks like an art journal, travelling through the seasons, every page a complete visual delight. It looks beautiful, from the cold depths of the snowy winter lands right up to the warmth and joy of life in Summer.

I often find myself studying the pictures long after my children are asleep, admiring and appreciating the tiniest details that my three year old may overlook within the images. The illustrator, Mark Hearld, has excelled himself, his influences from Edward Bawden are apparent, an artist I myself enjoy. There are a few images that remind me of Nikki McClure's work too.

As for the text itself, it includes poetry, simple recipes, how-to's, factual information and inspiration for activities.

Starting with Spring, the book journeys through many topics including listening to a pond, bird migration and nesting, making compost and cherry blossom.

Summer brings us honey, caterpillars and butterflies, rock pooling, dens and five reasons to keep chickens (Number 1 is 'They look very silly when they are taking a dust bath.')

The colours of Autumn deliver wind, geese and acorns, worms, apples and berry picking, complete with pictures resplendent in the shades the time of year is known for.

Last, but by no means least, is Winter. Here, a fox runs through a night-time snowscape, save seeds, watch deer in the dawn and mull over naked winter trees.

This would be an amazing gift for any child, but especially for those from a home that follows and celebrates the seasons, perfect as a permanent addition to a seasons table.

I almost don't want to say any more, as all I can do is URGE you to buy this book as soon as you possibly can, and I will definitely be checking out Nicola Davies' other titles.

Buy This Book. Do It. You Won't Regret It.

I Promise.

(This review first appeared on CraftyByNurture - [...] )
review image review image