Customer reviews

Apache
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 July 2007
I definitely judged this book by its cover - it's the most affecting, haunting, beautiful photograph. And in this case my gut feeling was absolutely right. I really couldn't put it down. It is fiction, but the way the author writes about this tribe of native Americans makes it very real, and sometimes almost unbearably so. A young Apache girl has to find a way to come to terms with the loss of her family and she takes the most challenging route - essentially she becomes a warrior, focused on having her revenge. There is something terrible about her, yet I was cheering her on all the way. It's hard not to draw parallels with contemporary issues of persecution and inter-racial hatred. This story will live with me for a long time.
on 18 July 2017
Well researched story written from a female perspective. I found this both illuminating and interesting in terms of understanding a different culture and its clash with white western expansion.
on 9 May 2017
This is edge of your seat drama. Thank goodness for a book suitable for young teens with no magicians, werewolves or vampires.
on 15 July 2007
I loved 'Apache'. This is an enthralling tale, and also a powerful insight into the injustices suffered by the native American peoples. Siki's story is compelling, touching, awful and beautiful. It holds a message of endurance and bravery. What I most liked about the central character is that she is a strong young woman succeeding - excelling - in a man's world. In that sense it has a contemporary aspect especially important for teenage girls to think about. When I was reading this book, I was comparing Siki's controversial life choice with the recent news story of the one female marine captured and held hostage in Iran, who also happens to be a young mother. Are these women unnatural to want to fight for their people's rights instead of staying at home to carry out their domestic duties? Or are they being true to themselves? This and many other thought-provoking issues are explored in Apache - our attitudes towards the health of the planet on which life depends, and the destruction of traditional peoples and their world views.

All this is presented in a poignant and poetic style through which we hear the voice of the Apache people. Landman's writing is first-class, authentic and lyrical. I was especially drawn to the way that Siki has premonitions and other-worldly visions which connect her to the spiritual and natural landscape. 'Apache' is an exciting story with lots of twists and turns in the plot which kept me on tenterhooks until the unexpected denouement. Thoroughly recommended!
on 11 August 2008
This is the best book I've read all year! It reminded me of Lian Hearn's Across the Nightingale Floor. A terrific, moving story of bravery and survival as white settlers invade North America in the 1850s. Siki is an Apache girl who becomes a warrior, seeing things she wishes not to see but powerless to prevent them. There isn't a wasted word in over 300 pages. Well done Tanya Landman - but how did this not win the Carnegie??
on 8 November 2008
I didn't realise this was a book for children until after I had read it. The style of writing is such that captures the imagination so that you lose yourself in the story. I was enthralled and could hardly put this book down. A great read with an unanticipated ending which leaves itself open for a sequel ....I hope.
on 21 July 2010
This a very un-usual story in that it is about a budding apache warrior, but this warrior happens to be a female. She witnesses her young brother being slaughtered by a Mexican soldier in cold blood. From that day on there is only one thing on her mind, revenge against the killer of her brother.

So, she sets to learn the ways of the warriors in her tribe and earns the right to become a warrior. She is eventually allowed to return to Mexico with her tribe's warriors, who are also on the revenge trail to avenge those of their tribe who had been attacked by the Mexican soldiers whilst on a peaceful trading mission in Mexico.

I won't say what the out-come of the avenging battle, cos it would spoil the story. But, I highly reccomend this book to any lover of Western stories.
on 17 February 2011
I have just finished reading Apache after hacing to read it for an English assesment. I can truely say it is one of those books you just cannot put down! It's based around the life story of Siki, a girl who grows up having seen her whole family slaughtered. As she embrarks on her quest for revenge, the story tells you of the haughting and distirbing events of her life. Absolutly amazing.
on 12 January 2015
Brilliant book. I read in under 24 hours, I couldn't put it down. The more people read and understand the Native American plight the better. This book is really well written and compelling, and despite it being fiction I understand that many events told within are based on true stories. I wish we were led by wise elders rather than greedy self serving politicians - the world would be a much better place. (Apologies for the soap box moment.)
on 22 January 2013
This is the most wonderful, original story. I love so many things about this book: the haunting portrait on the cover, the brilliant opening pages, the writing style which transports the reader into a different world and - of course - the story itself. A real treat. It's written for young adults, but I'm a middle-aged adult and my mum's an old adult and we both loved it!