Customer reviews

Before Jamaica Lane (On Dublin Street 3)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2014
Och, she's done it again (I'm part Scot, couldn't resist) and whilst I found it quite predictable in comparison to On Dublin Street and Down London Road, Before Jamaica Lane was still a great read and I loved Olivia and Nate. Liv's sweet, kind and fun and her vulnerablities are realistic ones; they aren't as deep or painful as Joss or Jo's and this made for a refreshing addition to the series. As for Nate, you can't not fall in love with him. He may be a player, but get to know him and there's plenty more to him.

With our favourite characters all playing an important part, it has emotion, passion and intimacy but ultimately my heart went out to both Liv and Nate as their story is one that you become completely invested in. The thing I do love about Samantha Young's writing is how she encompasses the real in these books; You can't beat a good escape from reality but I also equally like realistic elements every now and then. From losing virginity to flatulance these bring that. Let's be right, how many of us have lived the perfect romantic dream of flowers, candles and losing your virginity to the love of your life and the man you marry?

A worthy addition to the series and Hannah's story has been set up nicely.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2014
I loved On Dublin Street, wasn't so keen on Down Dublin Rd but I'm right back in the game for Before Jamaica Lane, I love series' that work through a group of characters, it's like curling up for a pj & dvd day with people you feel you know.
I wasn't sure what I thought of Liv to begin with - I thought she was a bit odd, all gangly & awkward - ya know, the girl we all love but don't want to be!! However, as the story developed I realised that her opinion of herself was not necessarily what others saw - her confession to Nate after Joss & Braydens wedding and their conversation about it the following day broke my heart (I actually shed a tear or twenty). Liv is smart and completely switched on, she was dealt some rough cards during her childhood and missed out on the lessons of refinement that most people suffer through their teenage years and she's been beating herself up ever since, never quite getting where she wants to be.
Nate had similar teenage experiences and this in the main seems to bond them as firm friends, though he is the complete opposite to Liv on the social scale with his man whoring ways, they trust each other and are able to be themselves in each others company. Nates a good guy, he's loyal & despite his whoring around he's honest and upfront with women, I didn't get the impression that he was particularly arrogant or overly cocky.
When Liv & Nate decide to cross the proverbial line (uh oh) under the guise of "lessons" for Livs confidence - it's playing with fire and as we all know what happens when you play with fire!!!!!
Will the risk they take pay off, will they divide their friends loyalties, will Liv get what she truly think she deserves and is Nate the right person to give it to her - you'll have to read to find out and hold on tight because it's one hell of a ride.
I love the side characters in this book, the group of friends are a solid gang that truly have each others backs and it was lovely to see the development of Hannah, she's being brought into the fold as a mature, opinionated 16 year old and is having her own mini dramas, we're also treated to a delightful little secret of Joss & Brayden's, these characters sure have some interesting times ahead.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 17 June 2014
I've loved this series since I read On Dublin Street but I have to say I think Nate and Olivia are now my favourite couple and Before Jamaica Lane is the best book so far. I always enjoy the friends to lovers trope and I loved that Nate and Olivia had such a strong bond long before things started to get physical between them.

Olivia has always been attracted to Nate but she knows what a player he is so she put him firmly in the friendship only box so she didn't get hurt. She was such a sweet character, sometimes she could be a little too naive and innocent but she had the same kind of insecurities that most women have experienced at some point in their lives which made her very easy to relate to. I quickly warmed to her character and I laughed a lot at how clumsy she could be and the way she kept putting her foot in it. Olivia is a normal girl, someone I could easily picture myself being friends with and I just generally enjoyed spending time with her.

Nate is sexy as hell but he's also a player, his heart was broken when his childhood sweetheart died and there is no way he's ever going to put himself in a position where he could feel so much pain again. Olivia is his best friend and no matter how beautiful he thinks she is he has no intention of taking their relationship beyond friendship. He had no idea how lonely Olivia was though and after she makes a drunken confession he wants to help her overcome her shyness. He offers to teach her the art of seduction so that she can find the man of her dreams but what starts out as just a friends with benefits kind of situation soon becomes so much more. The more he starts to feel for her the more he starts to panic and he makes a very stupid mistake by pushing her away.

Thankfully Nate comes to his senses but Olivia makes him work hard to earn her trust back and I really enjoyed seeing how far she'd come from the shy girl she was at the beginning of the book. I loved Nate for the way he built up Olivia's confidence too, he helped her see herself for who she really was and he made her feel beautiful inside and out.

Before Jamaica Lane is definitely a feel good romance, I smiled and swooned the whole way through reading it and the ending was completely perfect. If you're new to the series then you could probably read this book as a stand alone but I would highly recommend reading the books in order, all of the books have been great and I love the close knit group of family and friends who we've come to know so well throughout the series.
on 3 December 2015
I'm literally kicking and slapping myself silly that I waited so long to read this awesome book. It's by far one of my favourite books this year and defiantly my favourite from Samantha, I just wished I'd read it a lot sooner.
Nate is the ultimate book boyfriend he's sexy, sweet, a dirty talker ( a big fave of mine lol ) and an amazing friend to Liv. When Liv asked Nate for help with the opposite sex lines begin to blur and hearts are broken. I completely fell under the spell of this book and loved everything about it. I can't recommend this book enough !
on 13 June 2014
So well written, Samantha Young is just great at writing a story building on a romance and making you fall in love with the characters. Olivia has an outgoing personality but is painfully shy around the opposite sex. She is interested and develops a crush on a post-grad student so she asks her best friend Nate to help her go get what she wants.

Nate is reluctant at first to help but agrees, afterall who is better at teaching her what a man wants than him, someone who is a man whore, afraid of commitment.

Overall this is a sweet romance, one that has a few hiccups along the way but, like most of Samantha Young's books, will leave you wanting more!
on 24 October 2014
Samantha Young is freaking amazing and i have loved every book she has written and this goes for this one too. I love Nate and Olivia story and what a roller coaster it was. I was gripped from the start, i think it had something to do with sexy Nate.....Oh My God!! Irresistible and having him as a best friend, must a been hard for Olivia. I had a few laugh out loud moments, especially when Olivia gets embarrassed about not be experienced. She gets into some embarrassing situations because of this, classic! Highly recommend to anyone! Brilliant read and it will NOT be my last from Samantha Young. Amazing Writer!
on 9 April 2014
This is a brilliant follow up to On Dublin Street and Down London Road. It follows the same group of friends but focuses on Olivia. A new character introduced with Jo's story.

Olivia is so shy she feels unable to speak to anyone of the opposite sex who she finds attractive. Team that with an interesting back story and a hot best friend Nate you find yourself with a funny sexy story that always leaves you wanting more.

Samantha Young is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. Highly recommend any book she write but this series is amazing.
on 21 February 2014
Samantha Young writes better when she's not obviously trying to cater for the American audience. Although this book does revolve around an American import, Liv, it's not forced and Young's affection for Edinburgh is obvious. Characters from other books appear here, so it feels familiar and Young doesn't spend too long filling in missing details. The only reason I've deducted a star is the whole premise of asking your best friend to teach you how to have sex is so ludicrous that it makes the rest of the story seem weak, which is a shame.
on 19 March 2014
This Author never disappoints , absolutely fabulous story of Olivia and Nate. Everything seems so real, I loved how connected you feel to the characters. Samantha young has a wonderful way with words and endearment, when it got to the part where Olivia and Nate broke up that for me was point I got so gripped by the story line I really found it hard to put down, my eyes we're saw from needing sleep and crying to much..!! Anyway all came good in the end thank goodness, oh nice and sexy too..!! Looking forward to Hannah's story next..!
on 27 April 2014
I love all the Samantha young novels. It's great how she intertwined everyone's story so not only are we reading another great story, we get to catch up with past characters. Olivia is hilarious and I think many readers can connect to her when it comes to insecurities about being "plain janes". I love Nate! He's a great guy and I love that fact that he gets Olivia in all her weirdness and makes her feel beautiful every minute of everyday. Perfect epilogue to boot. 5 stars! Brilliant.