on 20 November 2016
Robin's and Harry's attempt to rebuild their lives in Dublin after the loss their three year old, Dillon, during an earthquake in Tangiers; Harry's belief that, five year's after the event, he has spotted the boy with an unknown woman on the streets of Dublin and his quest to find out the truth - these are surely premises for a gripping psychological thriller?

The beginning, with the description of the earthquake, is fine. It is intriguing and engaging. Harry's total lack of responsibility does not make him likeable, but flaws (even large ones) in a protagonist's character can lead to a very good book. Harry's recognition(?) of Dillon, filled with the shock and excitement which such an occurrence must evoke, is also well done.

However, in my opinion, shortly after this, things begin to go down hill. There is a lot of navel-gazing from both Harry and Robin which, for me, rather than creating psychological tension, slowed the plot down - to such an extent that I didn't feel particularly inclined to pick the book up again, nor did the fact that a major 'revelation' becomes obvious very early on. Not being one to give up on a book easily, I resorted to speed reading and was rewarded overall by two remarkable coincidences, (on which the entire plot hinges), an excellent unexpected twist and, sadly, a weak and surprisingly abrupt ending.

I really don't like giving a negative review, but this book just didn't work for me.
on 5 March 2017
Lots of twists and turns in this book some of which I saw coming but some I would never have guessed.

Harry is making a romantic meal for his wife but has to nip out as he left something at a friends. His young son is asleep having been given medicine so that he will sleep. Not wanting to disturb him Harry leaves Dillon alone in the flat hes only gone a few minutes. However while he is gone an earthquake strikes and the building where his young son is asleep doesn't survive the quake and neither does his son. Or does he?

Harry and his wife move back to their native Ireland from Tangiers and try to rebuild their lives. Except Harry cannot forgive himself or forget their son. The story picks up five years later he is in the city centre caught up in a protest march that he didn't even realise was on when he glimpses a child in the crowd that he believes is Dillion. Is this Harry mind playing tricks on him it wouldn't be the first time. Could this child really be Dilon or wishful thinking on Harry part? Or is something else completely going on? You will need to read it to find out but lets just say its a brilliant story brilliant written
on 18 August 2014
This is the first book I have read by Karen Perry and I have to say I was impressed. This was such as good story full of twists and turns. It kept my interest all the way through. It didn't end the way I thought it would - I suppose I had decided how I wanted this story to go. That is my only moan, I just wanted a different ending.

The characters were great and at times I really felt frustrated with their lack of motivation - a good indication of how brilliant this author is.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good story they can really get lost in. It is sad but I did like the way the story developed and it felt as if it changed every time you started a new chapter. At one point in this story the descriptive writing was so good I actually felt like I was in Tangier.

Well done Karen.

Karen D.
on 23 March 2017
Started off good then got boring
on 6 April 2017
Very good book.
on 25 May 2016
Interesting and different, certainly a page turner, not the classic romantic story. Looking forward to start reading the next book.
on 5 May 2015
Excellent service, book enjoyable
on 3 September 2014
I really enjoyed this Kindle book and found it hard to put down. A man and woman lose their only child in an earthquake in Tangier when the building he is in collapses. The body is never found.

A few years later in Dublin the man is making his way home when he sees a woman with a boy who looks just like his son had he lived to the age that boy is. Thus begins a man's quest to find this boy who he thinks is his own son back from the dead. He hides the sighting from his wife as he thinks she won't believe him, and the police too believe he is suffering from a delusion that his son is alive.

The book is superbly written with each chapter alternating from the man's view, then his wife's view giving you both sides od their story.

The book ended not quite how I was expecting as there are twists and turns along the way.

Brilliant and highly recommended.

I read this on a Kindle app on my IPad mini and had no proplems with it at all.
HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 March 2014
Harry and Robin lived in Tangiers with their young son, Dillon, until a terrible mistake and a devastating earthquake took their child from them. Harry left their son alone in the apartment for ten minutes, returning to find the building, and their child, gone. Although he felt Robin’s unspoken blame, the two return home to Dublin and attempt to rebuild their lives. Robin is keen to look forward, but it is soon apparent that Harry is still tormented by the loss of his son. One day, at a demonstration, he believes he sees Dillon in the crowd and events are set in motion which will test their marriage to the limit.

This is a realistic, well written and dramatic novel; with fantastic plot twists and turns. As Harry follows every lead to the boy he glimpsed that day, Robin is aware that Harry is moving away from her. Harry is also aware that neither Robin, nor his friends, believe that he has really seen Dillon – there are vague mentions of him being unwell, which suggest that he had a breakdown. As such, everyone is wary of Harry’s behaviour and of encouraging him; leaving him feeling even more isolated and desperate. The glimpses into how their friends and family view the couple and the events that follow are realistically and movingly written. I have no intention of giving away the ending, but it is a gripping read and will leave you emotionally wrung. I suspect this will deservedly be one of the big thrillers of the year.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher , via NetGalley, for review.
on 25 May 2015