on 21 March 2016
A beautifully written biography, modestly portraying the life of Mary Berry, the up's and downs of her life. You can do nothing but admire her for her coping method's of dealing with adversity, reminding me of Rudyard's poem ' If'. I would like to say ,a poem I use as a basis for my own life, but I have not had to face the challenges she has. Well done Mary!😇
3 people found this helpful
on 12 June 2017
FABULOUS !!! What a treat of a read,bless Mary for giving me such happy and memorable hours of enjoyment,my friend in the Netherlands is a hug fan so I sent the book onto her,she devoured it and now it's been sent to Italy to her friend who is also a Mary B fan,amazing !
One person found this helpful
on 25 July 2015
I bought this for a friend; to be honest, it was a bit of a rush purchase as I ran out of time, but when it arrived I looked at it and wanted to keep it for myself. A lovely mix of the story of Mary's life, with photos, interspersed with recipes for favourite foods that are memorable in parts of her life. It was a shame I didn't have more time to read it before I had to gift wrap it. I've put it on my wish list and hope someone might buy it for me sometime!
on 16 September 2014
As you’d expect really – Mary comes across in this book exactly as she does on screen: likeable, a mischievous sense of humour, not afraid to voice an opinion when the situation warrants (but always politely). Mary describes her life, explaining how she found herself as a cookery writer and television presenter, right through to the surprising success of the Great British Bake Off. It isn’t always a positive story – Mary suffered from polio as a child and lost one of her own children in a car crash. This is an interesting biography of a national treasure.
on 6 June 2015
She has written as if she is sitting in my sitting room talking to me, sharing her thoughts, joys and heartaches. I wish she was one of my best friends! Her deprecating sense of humour shines through and she leaves you feeling that you really know her. Her mix of recipes, life story, snippets from her friends and family and photos is genius.
This book would appeal to all ages and I highly recommend it. Looking forward to a second reading.
One person found this helpful
on 8 September 2015
What a wonderful book this is and a wonderful lady who deserves all her success ,she has overcome some awful things in her life but has remained a special lady in the heart of the nation ,her childhood alone is fascinating and who would have dreamt Mary would have ever been a naughty girl ,The book also has the added extra of some of Mary's recipes so a wonderful book ideal present Highly recommended.
on 19 June 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book,and I'm sure anybody else reading it would enjoy it equally,it was lovely reading about her life,family and all the things this lady has achieved in her lifetime.
I read this book in a day sat out in my garden with the sun shining and birds singing,what a beautiful setting to read such a well written book about Mary Berry's life.
I can't remember when I enjoyed reading a book more,I know it is a book I will return to again,please buy this book I can honestly say you will enjoy it immensely.
on 22 May 2017
Lovely, as expected. Thank you to the publishers who commisioned this book from Mary Berry.
An easy friendly, warm hearted read.
Family life, and includes recipes, too!
on 16 May 2018
Really interesting book - I read it prior to interviewing Mary. Its a good read and thoroughly recommended.
on 14 September 2014
An excellent read with a bonus of her favourite recipes included. Quite different from what I had expected. Mary Berry appears to be such a warm person, who idolises her Husband and is devoted to her Family. A Lady who cannot stop working but makes everything look so easy and natural therefore appeals to everyone young and old alike.