Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 May 2017
I'm a big fan of Sylvia day and this book is no exception,now about to start the next book in the Georgian Series
on 20 August 2013
I adore Sylvia Day's historical novels and this one is no exception. The book cover, covers the story well so I won't repeat. I would say that this offering from Ms Day is more tamer than some of her others and I loved that previous characters were woven into the storyline. Overall a good read.
on 17 July 2013
Loved it, Loved it. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'm always dissappointed when I finish reading her books, the reason for this is, another long wait for the next one!
on 14 January 2013
Sylvia's Historical books don't disappoint. The characters blend from one book to another. Once you start reading, you won't want to put it down. Again, this is filled with lots of passion n love, and a happy ending, of course. They were meant to be together, and nothing and no-one was gonna stop them. She was his, and he was her's!!!
on 22 January 2008
This book is the sequel to "Passion For The Game" which was a book which had potential but which I found disappointing in many areas. This book is different in some ways but still falls somewhat short of its potential.

Amelia Benbridge is the half-sister of Maria, the heroine of the previous book, sand we learned something of Amelia's story in "Passion For The Game". In that story we saw how Amelia had fallen in love with one of the stable boys, Colin Mitchell, who tried to discourage her because of the differences in their stations, with Amelia as a Viscount's daughter. In the end she saw Colin killed and thus the youngsters' romance was over and Amelia turned to the Earl of Ware, another childhood friend and one who is honourable and caring.

In this story Amelia is on the cusp of becoming engaged to Ware when she finds herself being observed by a mystery gentleman at a masked ball. There's something unusual about the man and she finds herself drawn to him, engineering another meeting and eventually chasing after him and finding herself in an inn with him. However the Count Montoya, despite being hugely attracted to Amelia, is involved in a complicated spying plot where he is attempting to track down Cartland, a double-crossing agent who wants to kill him. Not only that, he is also her childhood sweetheart Colin who strived for many years to make something of himself so that he could become worthy of her. Amelia seems to react surprisingly badly against this revelation and the final third of the book follows her as she vacillates about how she feels about Colin, alongside a rather damp-squib spying plot that never really gets going.

Although an enjoyable read in some ways, this book did fall short in a lot of areas. The characters seemed rather one-dimensional, the historical accuracy was pretty loose, particularly in terms of dialogue and behaviour, and the overall plot was a bit thin for a book of this length, bulked out by sex scenes. The fact that Colin managed to get himself a Spanish Count's title and then became a member of the British aristocracy is laughable; perhaps Amelia and her family don't mind that he's really a stable boy but he would hardly be able to move in polite society without the lifetime's learning of behaviour and speech. The author's general writing style is good but her plots and characterisation tend to let the stories down and this is rather a shame.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008
on 19 November 2013
I chose this rating because I like this Author.
I chose this book because I have read other Sylvia Day books and this is a continuation from her other books that I have read already. Its like a series I'm following.
What I like about the books are the content, structure and most of all the storyline.
on 13 January 2013
Wow. Sylvia seems to know every woman's fantasy man and make them come to life in her books! I've never felt more connected to the characters in any other books than that of Sylvia's I really felt for Amelia when she realized who the mystery man was. Pure genius yet again another all nighter book
on 13 August 2013
I would recommend this book to most of my friends, I have given it this rating in comparison to other Sylvia Day books I have read, the story line was very detailed and had to concentrate on who was who within the characters, but enjoyed it immensely.
on 10 June 2013
I bought this book as I love Sylvia Day, her books normally captivate me & I cannot put them down but I didn't find this one quite so enthrawlling, it was ok but not one of her best works.
However it arrived quickly & was a fair price.
on 24 March 2013
I usually love Sylvia Days books but i couldn't get into this, too slow paced compared to her other books and the chemistry between the two main characters did not jump out of the book like they normally do.