Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 December 2006
My introduction to Day's work was her anthology entitled "Bad Boys Ahoy!" and I was instantly impressed with the sensual feel that her historical plots exude. The historical aspects are masterfully blended to give that long ago era feel and enrich the lives she weaves for her characters. Rounded out with engaging plots and perfect pacing, Ms. Day easily becomes one of my most watched for authors.

Marcus Ashford, Earl of Westfield relishes the opportunity to rush to his former fiancé's side when it becomes known she is in danger. As an agent to the Crown, who better to serve her in every way he possibly can? He has burned for her for four years, years in which he was tormented at the thought of her married to another. What really went wrong so long ago when she was meant to be his? While an old danger that killed her husband looms, Marcus will do everything he must in order to make her answer for his anguish and his once again raging needs.

Lady Hawthorne, Elizabeth, is literally laid siege to by the one man she hoped never to meet again. The pain of Marcus's betrayal drove her away and into another's arms, and it's a sore fact she cannot forget. He leaves her no room in which to run this time and she is forced to face not only the dangers surrounding her late husband's death, but also the added dangers of his mysterious journal. Everyone wants it and so Elizabeth has no choice but to trust the one man she couldn't trust with her heart. The question is, is it worth the risk this time?

Ms. Day continues to thrill me with her passionate and strong characters. Her plots are rich in detail, both the sensual and non-sensual variety. The action is not over the top, but just enough to keep one interested in events as they unfold. Marcus is a strong, dominant man who thrilled this reader with his primal pursuit of Elizabeth. Elizabeth in turn is stronger than even she realized and is quite capable of taking on the forceful man. Their love scenes are heavenly to read, both erotic and sweet at once. This is going on my keeper shelf and I await "Passion For the Game", about Christopher St. John (an important character in this book), June, 2007. Ms. Day is also releasing "The Stranger I Married" in January of 2007. Glad to see this author keeping `em coming!
on 12 January 2013
I can't say it was a bad read just didnt have me gripped like other books I have read by this author. Story line wasn't the most thrilling and was confusing as it didn't feel it was explained properly, characters didn't have enough substance and I felt I had missed something vital all the way through but I now think that was the fact that the plot wasn't the best. Overall an ok read but not one I would recommend!
on 1 June 2014
I came to this after reading Fifty Shades ,and buying the Crossfire trilogy Wanted something in the genre but completely different, before moving on to 'Crossfire' Was not sure I had made the right decision as found this difficult to get into at the start Was never tempted to give up on it,but it did not 'grab me' All I can say is persevere! You will not regret it! The sex makes Shades look tame at times,and while I did not fall in love with the characters in the same way that I did with Christian and Ana,or Jack and Grace in the Redhead trilogy, still grew to care what happened to them
on 11 August 2015
So bad it's funny! On dear I am clearly going to contradict 95% of the reviews but this really is breathtakingly awful rubbish. I mean I did not expect Georgette Heyer, but maybe perhaps Barbara Cartland for 21st century. This makes Barbara look like Jane Austen. It claims to be Georgian i.e. the early 1800s but really did Regency bucks call each"man " and swear using the F---word? Oh and for the record the modern purple dye was not invented until 1856 so the heroine could not have worn one. But it is the sex scenes which are the best or should I say worst part of the book? They are just hysterically awful. I shouldnt scoff as i magine it provdes much needed escapism but ladies you can do better than this. I am only half I bought it for 99c on the Kindle Daily Deal and did not waste real money on it. Sorry thumbs down for this.
on 9 July 2014
What can l say just can't get enough of these books am l glad football is on I can just curl up with my favourite author really need to get all of her books well worth the read would highly recommend this book
on 13 February 2013
Again, another thigh clenching sizzler of a book from the fantastic Sylvia Day.
Had I of discovered her, before reading the shoddily written 50 shades, I would have read her entire catalogue before looking elsewhere for a decent book.
Elizabeth Hawthorne was in love with Marcus Ashford. They were to be married and she thought life couldn't be any better. Little did Elizabeth know her world was about to fall apart. When fate presses her to seek out her fiancé for help late one night, she discovers him with another. Heartbroken she leaves Marcus, jilting him to marry Lord Hawthorne, a man who offered less risk to a tender heart. While she never loved her husband as she did Marcus, she felt it was a safe life, one she could be content with.

Now fate once more compels her to Marcus' sphere. Her husband is killed, leaving her in deep mourning. As she returns to the functions of the world, she receives a strange journal, which had been written by her husband. It's hard to make heads or tails; the writings are in code. Only someone out there can read it and is willing to stop at nothing to get his hands on it.

Marcus has never forgotten or forgiven Elizabeth for leaving him to marry Hawthorne. He is now a spy for the crown and he, too, is interested in the journal. Still smarting from being jilted, he wants to possess Elizabeth, body and soul, but not her heart. As their passions heat up, they must face the danger stalking Elizabeth.

Day breathes sensuality and life into her characters in this richly textured read and leaves me eager for more from this talented writer.
on 16 April 2013
Another top book by Sylvia day, I love her books, I love the way she writes. It arrived promptly, new condition, but found it for sale in sainsburrys a couple of days later £2 cheaper!! but good read well recommended & if you like this then try seven years to sin & pride & pleasure too.
on 14 January 2013
This was the first Historical erotic romance book i've Ever read. I'm hooked. I read this within 2 days. I'm just not disappoint with any of Sylvia Day's books. Again, filled with love, lust n passion. enjoyed it that much, i will read it again, without a doubt.
on 19 March 2013
Another brilliant book from Sylvia I have read 5 if her books now and have not been disappointed yet. I definitely recommend her books.