Customer reviews

5,301
Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 April 2017
My first Liane Moriarty book but I don't intend it being my last. I have already downloaded another three. This is a lovely book. The characters are interesting. The so called "secret" is not the point of the story and the author allows you to guess what the secret is a few chapters before your guess is confirmed. The point of the book is, I think a comment made by one of the characters, about letting go of ego and not seeing everything in terms of black and white, being "bendy." It's a novel about the way people act and react, the latter not always wise but understandable. I ended up having to keep reading until I finished and knowing that I had "found" another author, always a joy!
on 6 April 2017
Apart for the copious errors - shame on you Penguin - this is the best book I have read so far this year. It's a book I will read over and over again. Literally can't put it down. Lots of characters to follow but stick with it - their stories and lives are all interlinked - just like real life I suppose.
on 2 June 2014
This isn't a bad book, but it isn't great either. I realise that I am probably in a minority here but after all the reviews on here I was expecting something really special. Instead it's a weird mix of chick lit and murder plot, which doesn't really lead anywhere.

The secret is pretty much clear from the end of the first chapter and the rest is just filling as far as I can tell. Entertaining and pleasantly written, but filling nonetheless. The author raises some interesting questions about fate and the impact of our actions at the end but that - for me - was the most thought provoking and engaging bit. The rest was just a bit tired. If you want a chick lit novel there are much better writers out there (Marian Keyes, etc) and the same for mystery writers. The saving grace was that it was cheap as chips on Kindle and it passed time whilst I was on holiday.

I wouldn't recommend it to people based on the current 4.5 rating on amazon, nor would I buy another book by this author again.
on 22 February 2015
What would you do if you discovered your husband's terrible secret was something unthinkable and that the man you thought you knew wasn't who you thought he was? This is what this book is about. All the characters in the book are linked in some way although it is difficult to see how the different characters are connected at the beginning from one scene to the next. It does all however come together. In the end there is a horrible price to pay for this secret which leaves the characters involved ridden with guilt. I loved the Epilogue which is different to normal ones and shows how life is just so unpredictable and full of chances. Also loved all the references to the Berlin Wall and how that was intertwined neatly into the story.
on 10 April 2017
What started out as a fairly conventional chick lit turned into a thoroughly gripping story that had me completing the book In two days while on vacation. Nice twists and believable characters. Definitely her best novel.
on 12 May 2017
I have finished this book in record time. I couldn't put it down. The first I've read of this author and I have just ordered another. Well done Liane Moriarty. Excellent story. You have a new fan
on 5 July 2017
Having watched the excellent series 'Big Little Lies I was keen to read something else by the same writer. This book did not disappoint, the stories are interconnected, the characters evoke sympathy and are believable, the sort of book you can't wait to get back to
on 20 July 2016
This book is just pages of waffle, I had to give up on it after a few chapters and the secret is totally predictable!
on 7 June 2017
A great deal of this story, it transpires, is based on the findings of an incompetent pathologist. Also, two of the protagonists have named their daughters Polly and Esther - ho ho ho. Really? It's okay, but I have preferred some of this author's other books. Bit slow and clunky.
on 9 May 2014
I just wanted to know what the secret was. We had to wait until nearly half way through to find out. I admit I wanted to know what happened but I didn't want to know all the stuff in the middle ? I am not going to try any more by this author. I found the characters' relationships confusing . Who was so and so and what did he / she have to do with the plot ? I found the style of writing poor and uninteresting . I skip read most of it which is probably why I got confused. It did not hold my attention. Not a bad plot though.