on 24 August 2017
This was by the writer of "Big Little Lies" which was such a TV success and seems to be along the same sort of lines. I found it readable but not inspiring. It is a small step above what might be described as "chick-lit" but did very much follow the mental meanderings of a small community of women in Australia. I didn't really feel that the central event of the tale, the murder of Janie, which happens before the book starts, was particularly believable. Early on some of the reflections of the protagonists were quite insightful but this quickly developed into the usual repetition and predictable stuff. I wouldn't willingly read another one...
on 2 June 2014
This isn't a bad book, but it isn't great either. I realise that I am probably in a minority here but after all the reviews on here I was expecting something really special. Instead it's a weird mix of chick lit and murder plot, which doesn't really lead anywhere.

The secret is pretty much clear from the end of the first chapter and the rest is just filling as far as I can tell. Entertaining and pleasantly written, but filling nonetheless. The author raises some interesting questions about fate and the impact of our actions at the end but that - for me - was the most thought provoking and engaging bit. The rest was just a bit tired. If you want a chick lit novel there are much better writers out there (Marian Keyes, etc) and the same for mystery writers. The saving grace was that it was cheap as chips on Kindle and it passed time whilst I was on holiday.

I wouldn't recommend it to people based on the current 4.5 rating on amazon, nor would I buy another book by this author again.
on 6 January 2017
Hmmm? I was really looking forward to reading a Liane Moriarty book as she's an author I've been hearing a lot about. So I downloaded The Husbands Secret onto my kindle expecting to enjoy myself over the long weekend getting lost in it. Unfortunately I kept getting distracted and just wanted to do something else instead. There's nothing wrong with this book. Some of the writing is really amusing, witty and funny; however I don't know. It just felt a bit like it was missing something. What, I'm not sure. Maybe it's just this particular book of hers and I should try another one, but I just felt a bit like a popped balloon. I think I was expecting something out of this world and it just didn't go anywhere for me. Great as a light beach read; as it's an easy book to put down and get back into again easily, with not a lot of thinking required, but I just thought it would be more than a fluffy read that didn't really go anywhere. If we could give half stars I'd give 3.5 rather than 3 stars, just because some of the inner dialogue is witty and sharp, but I felt a lot of padding went on such as the Berlin Wall stuff - which felt pointless and Tupperware parties - arghhh.
on 20 December 2017
Flowing, well written, easy to read. Not a clumsy sentence in the whole book, It's easy to imagine the characters as real people and understand why they behave as they do, even though you may not agree with them.

A lot of characters and sub plots are introduced in the first part and I had to make an effort to remember who was who and where they were, but this pays off as their very different lives converge. It was well worth the effort. New facets of characters are introduced throughout the book so I had no prediction of the end.
on 22 October 2017
Very well written and it has a great variety of characters of all ages. I found it a bit confusing at first because of all the different characters but you get to know them well. It wasn't until about half way through the story that I really got into it. It was a bit predictable but I can look past that because it was so good.
on 10 July 2016
This book was published in 2013, during my reading slump, but I remember seeing it everywhere. So when it was in a Kindle sale recently I was quick to snap up a copy. With over 4,000 reviews on Amazon and so many of Liane Moriarty's other novels constantly topping the charts, I had high expectations of the book. Happily, I was not disappointed. I read this book in 24 hours, so it's fair to say I was gripped.
The story does focus on Cecilia and her husband, as the above blurb mentions, but it is actually an interwoven narrative of three women – Cecilia, Rachel and Tess. Rachel has lost both her daughter and her husband and now her son and daughter-in-law are moving to New York and taking her two year old grandson with them. Tess is reeling from the information that her husband and sister-like cousin are in love with each other. Moriarty entwines the lives of these three women so cleverly that although there are numerous characters to keep track of it never feels arduous.
The majority of books I read seem to be set in the UK or US, so I really enjoyed reading a book set in Australia. This didn't massively impact on the story but it just felt refreshing and was an added bonus to a really engaging story.
This was the first book I have read by Liane Moriarty, but it definitely won't be the last.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 June 2016
Brilliant book. It was recommended to me by a friend, it is excellent and I would highly recommend it. It is so cleverly written and kept me reading until the early hours of the morning. It starts with Cecilia finding a letter whilst in the attic one day, and on the front it says "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" I thought that the build up and tension in the book was brilliant. I felt exhausted when I finished it!
This is one of those books that I wish I hadn't read, so that I could read it again!!
on 25 July 2017
This book is definitely not easy to put down. It has well and truly got me back into reading, a hobby I have sacrificed for many years now. Two of the descriptions on the back from She and Closer call this book "Highly Addictive" and "Captivating" respectively, and I have to agree. I started it yesterday and I'm already two thirds through! I like the intertwining of stories and characters, it really does add depth to the overall story. I'm excited to get to the end! Thank you Liane Moriarty!
on 10 September 2015
You got to hand it to Liane Moriarty, she can turn an article inspired idea into a best-seller. Originally inspired by an article that Liane had read about people who made all sorts of on the deathbed confessions including a murder confession from an individual who then survived his stroke and ended up in jail. The main plot of Husband's Secret gravitates around married with kids Cecilia who finds a letter hidden in the attic with an intriguing 'To be open only in case of my death' description written on the envelope. The book also follows stories of Rachel - a mother who's teenage daughter was murdered years ago ( which is major hint to the reader of what the letter contains) and Tess - a woman who's husband had an affair with her best friend. Although the 'secret' is quiet predictable the ending is not, especially when questioning whether the husband will and should go to jail (considering the damage that the truth can cause to Cecilia's family and the town's community). The book is well written and very easy and quick to read. I do recommend it.
on 23 December 2015
Review from AntonySimpson.com:

From the back cover:

Mother of three and wife of John-Paul, Cecilia discovers an old envelope in the attic. Written in her husband’s hand, it says: to be opened only in the event of my death.

Curious, she opens it – and time stops.

John-Paul’s letter confesses to a terrible mistake which, if revealed, would wreck their family as well as the lives of others.

Cecilia wants to do the right thing, but right for who? If she protects her family by staying silent, the truth will worm through her heart. But if she reveals her husband’s secret, she will hurt those she loves most…

(From: The Husband’s Secret (2013) by Liane Moriarty.)

In The Husband's Secret, you follow Cecilia, Tess and Rachel over one life-changing week. It starts with a secret, a revelation and a long standing injustice.

The Husband's Secret is an utterly captivating, addictive and compelling read from page 1.

Moriarty initially only used surnames to give the characters a sense of reality, but as the story continues she share’s the characters thoughts. This sharing of thoughts helped the reader empathise and connect with the characters. This was a shrewd move on Moriarty’s part, as the clever and intricate plot is character driven.

The pacing is full of suspense and the reader will find themselves thinking just one more chapter before I stop.

The Husband's Secret is chick-lit that is well worth a read.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse