Customer reviews

5,365
The Husband's Secret
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 March 2014
Powerfully grabbing your attention with a story so dreadful you cannot imagine how the lives of those involved could ever repair, 'The Husband's Secret' is the stuff of nightmares. Every day folk in Australia start out with dilemmas that are challenging but not life threatening, eventually escalating to a dreadful discovery which, rightly referred to as Pandora's jar (box?), cannot be put back again.

Cecilia is that perfect playground gate mother, a supremo tupperware party seller, Catholic, kind, bubbly, chatty and above all a coper. Then one day a letter comes tumbling out of an old accounts file... What it contains connects her tightly with the other complicated and interesting characters we are getting to know, who are a chorus to her dilemma.

However nothing is quite as it seems and all the better for that. I walked about with my kindle in one hand, my attention fully focused on this seemingly unsolvable situation, it is one of those books that you can't wait to return to and resent time away from.

I appreciated the closure given by the last chapter, unusual to have such a full conclusion, confirming various suspicions, which always make me feel clever to have guessed!

I have one niggle. The kindle shows each day of Easter/Holy Week as the headings, with the chapter numbers inside the 'day'. Annoyingly, if you want to look back, and sometimes you will need to, then you can't quickly find your way to the chapter.
on 22 October 2017
Very well written and it has a great variety of characters of all ages. I found it a bit confusing at first because of all the different characters but you get to know them well. It wasn't until about half way through the story that I really got into it. It was a bit predictable but I can look past that because it was so good.
on 26 April 2017
Loved it. Already a fan of Liane Moriaty, this one seemed to have passed me by. Great twists, with some that you really don't see coming. You really feel for the main characters. Would recommend
on 16 May 2017
Great story, better than expected, I'm definitely a fan of liane moriarty.
on 3 October 2017
Brilliant read. Couldn't put it down. Would recommend to anyone married or single who enjoys wondering what could possibly go so wrong and if and when the Heroine would regain her memory!!
on 9 April 2017
Once in a while you come across a book that you just don't want to end. Excellent. Great storyline ... and of course you would open the envelope! Wasn't the secret I was second guessing though!!!
on 16 October 2017
I enjoyed this light reading, which turned out to be distressing in the end. I like how life is depicted as something mysterious. Good characterisation with humour.
on 16 June 2017
was recommend by a friend to read this - it is so true to life how people think and react to everyday life a book I could not put down but did not want it to finish
on 15 July 2017
Excellent book, once I got in to it I couldn't put it down. Jumps around from the perspective of three main characters, which was a little confusing at the outset but once I got the hang of their names it read very well. Enjoyed the story very much.
on 9 May 2017
I love Liane Moriarty's writing style. It is like she really understands people. I have read Big, little lies too and loved that just as much.