on 20 January 2013
Previous annuals have provided more stories & comic strips & concentrated less on monster histories which seem to get regurgitated each year & behind the scenes stuff... I have a number of annuals from the 60's, 70's & 80's & all the more recent ones too, featuring the 9th, 10th & 11th Doctors, so I mainly buy these annuals for the collection... But I love the fictional stuff, if I wanted to know about the behind the scenes stuff I'd watch Doctor Who confidential (Which I don't)... I'd prefer to see more short stories, comic strips, quizzes & games... Just my opinion though...
on 30 October 2011
Definitely a winner for dr who lovers....gave as a present and an eight year old sneaked away buried her nose in this annual didn't surface til thoroughly read...result! Recommend as a present.....
on 17 May 2012
O.K , it's a short book . And I did learn a bit more about pre - 2005 doctor who . And yes , the stories are well written . But , a bit more could be packed into this annual . One section was called ; 11 things you didn't know about the eleventh doctor, I knew every one of these facts! But I do kind of like it. I'd have brought it at the £1 shop or a charity shop. Still , it is quite a good book.
on 8 February 2013
The Christmas period of 2011, once again beckoned another Official Doctor Who Annual for 2012. (This is how it works for English annuals, as compared to the American annual, concerning mainly a special comic-book release.) I am always a sucker for the traditional annual, and I was more than happy to see it sitting in my stocking on Christmas morning. The format is predominantly aimed at younger children, with word-searches, word-swirls, and 'spot the difference', which uses simpler language for the age-range.
For the Whovian community, there are textual adventures/short stories that incorporate the Doctor and his companions, plus two short comic strips surrounding a mini-adventure away from the Tardis. Additionally, there are summaries of the major villains/enemies from the latest season, a brief profile of River Song and her timeline, a small look at the many Tardis consoles the Doctor has implemented over time, and a summary of events that have recently occurred within the Doctor's timeline.
For the kid in all of us, this is a lovely little stocking filler, and for the many Doctor Who fans, this is a great little addition to your growing collection of Doctor Who media.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2012
I very much enjoyed reading this annual and its been written and presented well.Im sure any dr who fan would really enjoy reading this.The pictures and images are very well done and the whole annual has been put together in an excellent way.This would make a great read for kids but like i said im sure any dr who fan would enjoy this.Highly recommended.
on 18 December 2011
I bought this book because I am a Doctor Who fan and it was cheap. I am also 21. The book has very little content and the content it does have is a bit dull as the book is aimed at kid fans not hardcroe whovians. It's a great book for the price though. For children but for adult fans I'd reccomend theThe Brilliant Book of Doctor Who 2012 HC. I would also recommend that book above this of for older kids or maybe very smart kids who like a lot of reading. But since this book is going for less than £3 now I still recommend it as it is very cheap and has some nice aspects like the poster included and the comic strips.
on 25 November 2011
If it's August than it must be Christmastime, or so it seems as the perennial DOCTOR WHO ANNUAL is published (BBC BOOKS from PENGUIN BOOKS) to tie-in with SERIES 6.

With a slightly demonic-looking 11th Doctor staring defiantly on its cover replete with the all encompassing (but plot demolishing) Sonic Screwdriver glaring powerfully the ANNUAL is always - for younger fans and the more jaded ones alike - welcomed, and since its move from PANINI COMICS the quality of its content has improved exponentially year-on-year.

Unsurprisingly, the layout is ebullient, joyous and neck-achingly jaunty based upon the equally success BBC MAGAZINE publications, DOCTOR WHO ADVENTURES

However, fans of reading fictional short stories may be disappointed, as there are only two - AMY'S ESCAPADE and RORY'S ADVENTURE - to enjoy. The majority of the publication is "quiz" (echoing the recently published excellent timer & space handbook, DOCTOR WHO - MONSTER MISCELLANY) and "action" biased articles.

The ANNUAL was received before the airing of the SERIES 6 PART II trailer and it was fascinating to read - on page eight - that factoid number 10 read "The Doctor died at Lake Silencio on 22 April 2011 at 5.02pm". I can only guess that all will be revealed in October 2011. Oh, and the spoiler on page 14 to "tease" the re-appearance of the Weeping Angels.

Factual features - a core content of the ANNUAL throughout the 1970s and 1980s - are limited a single double-page spread that details NASA's THE REAL APOLLO MISSIONS however the information is so scant that the 258 word article is scandalous for such an important historic event. The article could have continued to discuss man's unmanned missions to other planets in our galaxy and relate them to the series' connection (Beagle's visit to Mars would relate to Martian's known as "Ice Warriors", or the Doctor's trip to Pluto in THE SUN MAKERS). New younger fans of the series are inquisitive, like my eight year old, and should not be restricted in learning more.

THE TARDIS ARCHIVES is informative but could have far more extensive, exploring the "teleport" facility that was never used during the Third Doctor's TARDIS redesign, or that fact the Doctor could take the console from the interior to work on it.

With the omission of the Fifth Doctor's "doggleganging" Omega creature, DOUBLE TROUBLE is accurate and will, hopefully, entice NEW SERIES fans to explore the CLASSIC SERIES stories.

Like any publication or website, there are spelling mistakes but, thankfully, they do not detract from the content's meaning.

With a (very carefully) pull-out fold-out poster affixed to the inside back cover, the ANNUAL is over quicker than it started. My eight year old's attention span for the publication was less than an hour as he has become more accustomed to reading the more literary DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE (he's never bought DOCTOR WHO ADVENTURES as "it's not worth my pocket money" as he says).

The ideal reader is up to five years old (boys only) and there lies the problem with the ANNUAL. It has not changed in decades, and it needs to. The hard-backed cover could be replaced to increase page count, more factual content (i.e. behind the scenes shooting similar to the content broadcast in DOCTOR WHO CONFIDENTIAL), more mature writing (in the era of post-HARRY POTTER, children are increasing more literate, intelligent and have a longer attention span than the ANNUAL's producers seem to think.

Overall, time to re-invent the ANNUAL for next year?
on 3 January 2012
I got this Annual for Christmas and was very pleased and impressed. It is an enjoyable book full of puzzles, comics and information on your favorite Saturday night hero. My only criticism would be that I had finished it by the Christmas special later Christmas Day so I think it should be a bit bigger.
on 9 December 2011
Being just a parent I can't say I have read this annual but I can testify that my son is fully engrossed in it, at the breakfast table, after homework and before bed. He sometimes tells me new facts he has discovered about Dr Who, so not only is he enjoying reading it, we are also having some good conversations about it too. Definitely money well spent if you love Dr Who, or if you give it as a present to someone who does.
on 14 November 2011
I bought this item as a christmas present and from the outside it looked totally perfect,however the pages on the inside looked like they had been somewhere cold or damp as the pages were creased.There was NO staining and it doesn't smell damp so i am satisfied but a little dissapointed.