on 2 March 2010
This book, initially only by Gerry Johnson and Kevan Scholes, is like the Bible of corporate strategy. From a readability point of view it's not the book for a good holiday read, but as a reference book for anyone involved in developing or implementing strategy then it's a `must have' book. The addition of Richard Whittington to the author team adds a humanistic dimension and there are, as always, significant additions compared to earlier editions.

Throughout the book there are a number of knowledge checks, so that you can check your understanding of what you've just read and the addition of the DVD and web page really enhance this experience. The authors take you through a chronological build up of the complexity of strategy formulation and cleverly use their case studies, so that you can apply the practical application of what you've learned.
4 people found this helpful
on 11 April 2009
I started my MBA in January 2009 and this textbook was recommended for the course also, previous editions had been used for the course. Therefore, it seemed to be a tried and tested book. I considered buying a second-hand book but at the time there appeared to be little difference in price because of demand, between new and secondhand and as it transpired, previous editions. The overall quality of the book did not concern me providing it was complete. However,from what I recall at the time, none of the second handbook sellers mentioned the Student Access Kit that comes with the new book and this gives me access to the publishers on-line training, which is linked to the book. So, I am pleased that I did pay the extra because of the benefits it will give me especially when it comes to revision. If you are considering secondhand, I suggest you check first that you will get the Student Access Kit.
Textbooks are rarely exciting but this book gives me what I need for the classroom and study at home.
on 6 April 2005
By far the best book in the field I have ever read! It uses colour, pictures and graphics generously. It reads well. It makes the study of Strategy interesting! I used to find it such a dull subject, but Johnson & Scholes relate theory to real-life examples which are up to date with current business news. I would most certainly recommend this book to anyone, whether they are studing the subject for exam purposes or simply out of interest! The on-line features are excellent as well.
16 people found this helpful
on 15 December 2016
Such a nice book on corporate strategy. I purchased this book for my MBA course and really was helpful.

It helped me a lot in completing my MBA
on 16 January 2009
This is an excellent text on strategy. It is readable and applies theory to practice in the form of numerous case studies of well known organisations. You could spend your time reading the numerous specialist authors on stragegy and piece their theories together or you could buy this book and read them all in one place, then move on to read specific theories in more detail, even if you need to.

The book and later editions are worth buying just for the case studies which tell you a lot about companies you will know, their challenges, choices and ultimatley thier strategic decisions. These case studies help you think much more about companies we all come across, providing a real insight into why companies do the things they do.
on 13 November 2014
Helped me get a 1st in this module at Uni. Fantastic grounding in the basics of Corporate strategy.

There are some fantastic references for further reading in the back, strongly recommended.

Only issue was the price!
on 16 October 2017
Brilliant!
on 5 September 2017
Excellent book
on 9 March 2015
As good as it gets! Excellent, relevant examples. Great breadth of knowledge (even includes game theory). Colourful and exciting, the structure has a several facets that keep your interest throughout such as articles, reviews, case studies and emergent areas. I read it before my MBA even started, and even now, as a practising manager it sits on my desk. It is my favourite academic book of all time. It covers so much.
on 10 April 2016
Excellent book especially if doing a business degree often on the recommended list.