Customer reviews

Level 4: The Diary of a Young Girl (Pearson English Graded Readers)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 March 2013
I asked my daughter about Anne Frank's diary when she said she'd read it, I asked her what it was about and her reply surprised me. She said it was about how to get on with people. I expected her to tell me what i knew from general knowledge. 'It's about a Jewish girl, hiding from the Nazis'.
Years later, she's moved out and i see the book, still in her old bedroom, I consider her answer and decide to have a look, what inspired that answer.
I was moved by what I read. This was honesty, enthusiasm of a child. But it was an old copy (i shook my head at my daughter - it was from her old school library ...) there were front pages missing. I decided to order my own copy and chose this because I trust Penguin.
When it came, it was a let-down; it didn't have any of the warmth of the (PAN) edition that was my daughter's. I scribbled out bits of the intro - that contained I thought very history lesson stuff ... to cut a long story short, days, details episodes - are not in this edition that are in the edition my daughter read. Somebody has not just edited it - they've rewritten it. Blandly. It's not Anne Frank's diary, it's Anne Frank's diary when she grew up and became ... a marketing executive?
on 21 December 2008
Every Single Person Should Read About Anne Frank...Its A Really Interesting Book, Especially For Foreigners, Because The English Is Very Easy!!!
on 30 April 2013
I purchased the book for my 9yr old grandaughter she absolutely loved it. I have ordered more books for her.
on 9 July 2013
Bought this for my daughter as she is fascinated by hero's of WW2. It's a book all today's youngsters should read as a reminder of the sacrifices people made during that terrible time to help them realise how lucky they are to live in a safer world where they have so many opportunities...
on 1 September 2013
Perfect for less confident readers. there is a very good introduction and the diary is as moving in the simplified version as in the original. It is essential reading for every civilised person.
on 16 February 2016
An ideal book for a reader who is unable to access the original diary. This is a much simpler text, but with all the key information so that the reader doesn't miss out on the facts.
on 29 March 2014
I purchased as a gift for a 11 year old and her intial reaction was a very thin book and not as she thought it would be.(she had chosen it from among numerous available)
on 11 January 2014
for my grandaughter who will enjoy one of my favourite books of all time I am certain as much as I did
on 25 July 2014