Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2010
Firstly, this book does NOT have copies of the poems in! I didn't realise this and was slightly disappointed when it came. Though, if you look really hard, you can find the poems online.
That said, everything else about this book was very useful, particularly for A Level coursework, giving the basis of some ideas but not doing the work for you, so no risk of plagiarism. It has some ideas for practice essays as well for those doing it as an exam text. It has an extra, in depth, analysis of a few poems which is helpful if you do get to pick and choose which you're using, and for everything else has some 'key quotes' along with the analysis.
Definitely recommended as a revision guide, especially for AQA's Struggle for Identity and Love through the Ages A Level courses.
on 1 March 2009
The York Notes Advanced for The Worlds Wife are so useful when studying the anthology. It goes through each individual poem and highlights the important quotes and themes throughout. There are also sections dedicated to themes etc so that you can successfully compare poems with each other. Brilliant product!
on 6 April 2014
This guide has been extremely helpful for my daughter who studied AS English Literature, it helped her a lot both with her coursework and her exam technique, providing quotes and essential critical interpretation!
on 5 November 2012
Brilliant guide to the wondrous World's Wife. I love these poems and this book helped me to understand the poems in other ways. The only quibble I have is that Mrs Macready in Mrs Midas is surely not a reference to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. That seemed to be reaching too far! Surely just a reference to CAD's experience of being a Primary School child. Otherwise brilliant notes.
on 11 February 2016
It has lots of info - which as an IB student I'm extremely happy about....BUT - it often just pointed out literary terms that the poet used without explaining why the poet chose that and what effect it had..... I mean it's great! And if you're considering buying it - go for it! But just be prepared that sometimes it just doesn't give all the info you wanted so you have to make additional research on google. Good luck!
on 15 July 2014
Great work from York Notes. Aided massively with some fantastic annotations and explanations. Carefully thought out structure to make it simple for the reader. The service was also excellent in receiving the book!
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2010
Bought this for my English course, it has everything I need to know, and at half the price it's sold most other places.
on 7 October 2009
An excellent help and guide alongside the text for a level examination. Opens your mind!
on 10 June 2011
A great little revision guide. However, I really liked the poems themselves so perhaps this is why I am so encouraging about it! Only thing that would have been better would be to either have the poems in it, or include a section of critical material (quotes from other critics about Duffy's poems) as I spent most of my time scouring the internet for stuff. Great book!
on 19 February 2012
This guide was quite helpful to me when resitting my english exam. It gave me tips a points of view that i hadn't got in lessons. I recomend this guide to anyone studying the poems. I'll just have to wait and see if it helped with my results.