Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 29 June 2013
Congratulations to whoever first thought of using the scripts to write novels. These are so much better than TV because, not being constrained by time-slots, they really stick to the plot and add so much extra detail!
VINE VOICEon 21 August 2008
The Auton Invasion was one of the first Doctor Who Target books I read when I was younger. It is based on the Doctor Who adventure Spearhead From Space the first to feature Jon Pertwee as the Doctor.

Caroline John does an excellent job of reading this book. The characters really seem to come to life. Plus you have a lively music score and some lazer effects of the Auton guns which all add to the enjoyment.

Releasing the old Target books as audio cds is one of the best moves by the BBC and I am looking forward to future releases. It would be nice to see some of the novalisations of lost stories released such as The Web Of Fear or Fury From The Deep.
on 12 October 2012
This audio-reading is OK, but there are better ones out there. However Caroline John is obviously thoroughly enjoying herself reading this book, and depicts the characters well with different voices. It's one of the first novelizations for Terrance Dicks, and includes his famous description of the TARDIS arriving with it's wheezing and groaning - love it. As much as I didn't feel this is the best of the audio-readings, I did enjoy it, and now want to go and watch the TV version.
on 14 October 2009
Having listened to many of these Doctor Who novelisation readings now, irrespective of how good the narration is, The Auton Invasion is the first audio adaptation that has invoked so many memories of the story to the point that I will actually watch it again soon.

I have been through a real revolution with this story. Having read the book a few years before I saw the story, I was initially disappointed with the latter. And then with subsequent viewings I came to love certain aspects, which are actually missing from the audio. However there is different detail to the audio.

Also, it took me a few minutes to warm to this reading, and then suddenly I was really into it. John's impersonation of the male characters are rather good. I hope she gets, at least, to read the remainder of season 7 at some point.

This release is the first one where I feel I have actually got a worthwhile product (having already got the book and DVD). I therefore give it 5 stars. The original script is superb, the novelisation is great and the reading of said novel is really brought to life. If these three categories were applied to other audio readings within the Doctor Who range, then I believe the flaws start to show, as most only shine on two out of three.
on 3 April 2009
This is another enjoyable release in the range of audiobook versions of the Target range of DOCTOR WHO novelisations first released in the 1970s. DOCTOR WHO AND THE AUTON INVASION is an adaptation of SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE the first story to feature Jon Pertwee in the title role back in 1970. The Nestenes and the Autons are very sinister creations that were quite rightly considered strong enough for a rematch both with Jon Pertwee the very next season (in "Terror of the Autons" - still to be released on DVD or audiobook but it did get a - sadly long ago deleted - VHS release) and in Christopher Eccleston's first adventure in the revived series ("Rose" in the series one box set) back in 2005. If you should want to experience the original version of THIS story, the television version is now available on DVD (as "Spearhead from Space").

Terrance Dicks has created a crackingly entertaining and engaging little tale. He has pretty much followed (with a few delightful additions) the original story as written by Robert Holmes, but as this is the first story he ever adapted for the range, he really gives it his best. Actually, those early Target novelisations (especially those first published with the black block text "DOCTOR WHO" logo) were amongst the strongest in the entire range and really have managed to stand the test of time as entertaining, diverting and well told stories in their own right. I found himself to be really wallowing in nostalgia when I heard once more those familiar words from that much read copy I had in my youth.

I hadn't expected much of the narration as I never took to the character of Liz Shaw on television and always thought of her as being rather too "posh", but Caroline John is a revelation, and narrates in a cheerful and crisp manner - her voice is surprisingly easy on the ear - and the various characterisations and accents that she employs throughout are great fun. Caroline John did, of course, play Liz Shaw opposite Jon Pertwee's Doctor in this and three other stories broadcast in 1970, and also narrates DOCTOR WHO AND THE CAVE MONSTERS from this range.

The packaging includes a booklet which, unfortunately, doesn't include the original illustrations that were inside the book, as later releases in the range have done, but the CD cover does have some reprints of the various cover art illustrations that graced the front of the book over the years printed inside it.

All-in-all the whole release is very thoughtfully put together and I was easily carried back to my youthful enjoyment of these books, but didn't feel that it came across as particularly childish. This is intelligent storytelling that doesn't talk down to its audience and as such is highly recommended.