on 11 June 2017
Great book
on 17 July 2017
its interesting
on 1 June 2017
Rather dated now but very amusing
on 14 June 2017
Loved it. Made me laugh out loud and it also made me shed a tear. The best autobiography I've ever read, period.
on 9 June 2017
Fab book
on 30 January 2015
very good reading - got a bit bogged down with his film career, would have liked a bit more about him!
on 28 August 2011
The book is like a travelogue. It moves along from event to event in life. His early years are memorable (read to find out why). His time in the British army brought laughter and weeping in almost equal measure (only a person who has been in the army, even at the lowliest of levels, as I was, would be taken to such emotional heights and depths). His early time in the US was for me, a little boring (and I lived in the New York metropolis for eight years). The tale came to life again as world war II approached and took hold of everything. Courage emerged, from a self-confessed non-courageous person. It was under the guise of patriotism (read to find out how and indeed, why). Back in Hollywood, the name-dropping, litany of escapades and the almost complete absence of characterisation ensued. There is tragedy. As for the man, he seemed utterly charming, a rogue at times; perhaps slightly self-effacing. His writing style is certainly lucid; even a little florid at times, yet over the piece, so easy to read. I wonder how I will fare with Bring on the Empty Horses?

Ian Hunter.
Author of The Early Years e-LOVE E-Dreams [(E-World)] [By (author) Ian Hunter] published on (August, 2011) [(Three Interludes)] [By (author) Ian Hunter] published
on (February, 2012)
 Love's Anatomy Conversations Pets: An Adults' Tale
on 16 November 2014
Looking at some of the other reviews for this book, I was unsure about whether to buy it or not. I did, and am glad that I did. The style is simple and straightforward, but engaging, and he covers a lot of ground. Of course he 'name drops' a lot, but if you are famous, then you are going to mix with a lot of other famous people, so I'm not quite sure why others are surprised by this. I also don't understand why some reviewers think it is all made up; thinking about many of the people he mixed with - Flynn, Bogart, Sinatra and so on - I suspect that much had to be toned down or left out rather than made up!
All in all, a fun read; nothin profound, but I didn't expect that.
on 17 March 2013
I will remember David Niven differently now! What a read! I loved every chapter and could not put it down.