on 20 November 2001
This James Herriot doesn't tell the reader about the author's time in the RAF as a kind of 'running commentary'. Instead Herriot gives you some insight into his experiences as a vet training to be a pilot and he uses each annecdote to bring the subject round to the material for which he is best known - his hilariously funny experiences in practice. The book is quite touching, bringing home to the reader how awful James Herriot found the separation from his wife Helen, especially during her first pregnancy, the home sickness he felt for Darrowby and for the niche he had come to feel so at home in. My favourite bit is when he gets the chance to deliver a calf as an aside to his RAF career. A change of pace from the previous books, a little deeper but just as rich in all the things Herriot lovers enjoy so much.
on 10 November 2013
The complete series is brilliant. I have chortled my way through this book and the pictures which are conjured up in your mind from the text are instant and really funny. It does touch on the real life problems faced around that time but the balance of humour and tragedy are well balanced.
on 13 July 2015
The abridged version of the book is read perfectly, and for people of a "certain age" who remember the TV transmissions, then I really enjoyed the mental images that I could easily visualise from watching the TV some thirty years ago !! .... recommended.
on 23 August 2015
James Herriot is a natural story teller,his passion for animals is beyond question. Not only animals,he is a keen observer of people,he does this with humour and compassion.This book is a easy and enjoyable read.
on 10 January 2014
What a lovely book. I first read this 35 years ago. This book has lost none of its' charm - a vet who truly loved his job working in an era when there was time to give each client the time they deserved. Would be enjoyed by animal lovers or those that relish the simple things in life.
on 7 February 2015
It does what it says on the box, tells the story of the early career of James Herriot which I enjoyed while I was on a long journey, anybody want my copy as I won't be listening to it again? Haha
on 2 December 2013
I am Scottish and a lot of my family are from Yorkshire and I read these book when I was younger. It was great to revisit them now. A very entertaining read.
on 19 June 2015
New reprint. Lovely to re-read James Herriot's stories.
Prompted to read again whilst repeats of the TV series are currently screened on TV.
on 6 February 2015
I like James Herriot books because ther is lots of small story's like each capture is a story within itself very entertaining
on 10 July 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone, very funny in places had me laughing a lot. Great book.