Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 October 2009
I literally could not put this book down from the moment I picked it up at 6pm until I finished reading it at 1am.

From the opening page right up until the acknowledgments I was engrossed, entertained and enlightened.

I've laughed out loud, i've smiled to myself, i've looked at the page in open mouthed shock and have gone through such a rollercoaster of emotions during the seven hours of reading its amazing.

Very rarely in my experience does a book take you on such a journey as this one does. High, lows, ups, downs it's all here told in brutal unflinching honesty.

What more could anyone want from a book?

I for one could ask for nothing more
on 2 October 2009
When BBC Radio Five Live first began Sybil Roscoe had Ozzy Osbourne on her programme as a guest. God knows how many years ago that was, but Ozzy said then that he was going to bring out an autobiography and call it John. Well it's here now, at last, and it's worth the wait.

I first encountered Ozzy during my early days of rock education through the pages of Kerrang! I'd heard of Ozzy and Black Sabbath, but wasn't too familiar with Ozzy the solo star. He had the cover and was dressed as a werewolf. Inside all the pictures was of him as a werewolf and I began to wonder if this man actually looked like a werewolf! Of course, I soon realised it was a video for Bark At the Moon. Subsequently I bought that album and saw him on tour and have been a fan ever since.

What I always liked about Ozzy is that he has never forgotten his roots. He's not arrogant and never comes across as big-headed. This comes over in his book which is written just the way you know and love Ozzy to be. It has his colourful delivery, wonderful descriptions of his adventures; all the famous ones and some you never heard of - the only gripe is the cover, which is a bit bland.

I Am Ozzy will have you laughing at his outrageous adventures, but also have you cringing too. There is sadness at the death of Randy Rhoads and how the Nazis nearly killed him - you'll have to read it to work that one out - and the controversial mishaps that he's had will also have you smiling.

There isn't much more to say except that if you're an Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath fan this book is a must buy. But even if you're not, you're still going to enjoy it because it's the story of a guy from Aston, Birmingham, who made it big and as he has said many times before, is the luckiest guy in the world. The difference is that he knows it and had made the best of his talents and abilities.
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2014
There's actually very little about Sabbaths music in this book, but if you enjoy drinking stories and animal cruelty (and I'm not refering specifically to the Dove/Bat incidents) then this book is for you. Ozzy is just way too shallow for my taste. I should have bought Iommi's book.
on 29 June 2010
Oh yeah...OK Ozzy, I'll believe you even if I have heard half of the anecdotes in here before. Who cares...somehow Ozzy has become a national treasure and lets face it they don't do rock stars like him anymore, just a bunch of wimps who couldn't bite the top off a Big Mac, let alone a live bat. (Or a rubber one come to that!!) Great book, good for a laugh and .....i'd have bought it anyway because he had the decency to reply to my get well letter when he was 'quad-biked'.
Seriously....it IS a good and humourous read.
on 10 November 2009
Firstly, I should point out I'm a huge fan of Ozzy. Have been for over 20 years. Seen him live loads of times, have every CD, record, demo, promo and even figurine that's ever featured the great man.

Okay, the book starts out well, so I give it 2 stars for that. It then skips past most of the Black Sabbath history (there are some great Sabbath books that detail Sabbaths history, like How Black Was our Sabbath#. It jumps to the Randy Rhoads era #I recommend Rudy Sarzos Off the Rails to get a better history of this period), then jumps past Jake E Lee - one of his most popular periods gets very little coverage, and onto the current era, and then finishes up with the Osbournes, which has been done to death before.
The same old stories, the Alamo, the Dove and Bat biting, the Motley Crue tour, and then it's all over.

No mention of Randy Castillo, his drummer for several albums, and a man who also died tragically.
The feud with Dio is glossed over. His feud with his old band mates being removed from the early albums is one sided. Entire albums are not mentioned. What about his reunion with Geezer on Just Say Ozzy? So much of this mans history is missing. He had a co-writer, and I presume researchers, yet the book is so light on detail, it's criminal.

I was waiting for this biography for years. The man has had an amazing career, but this is not the biography we were promised. It's a shame. It's as light and fluffy, and lacking in content as watching the x-factor. What a missed opportunity.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2015
Such a funny book, had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. Not much of a fan of the music and never really watched them on TV but his life is certainly entertaining and it's amazing the man is still alive.
on 13 October 2011
Not a massive Black Sabbath fan, I now am, this is a great insight into this complex maniac genius.Sharon emerges as a clever and vulnerable person who stuck by Ozzy through dark and disasterous times.From his childhood in aston through the crazy train of decades this book made me laugh , learn and understand a little more about addictive personality, dyslexia and attention disorders.
There is no malice toward anyone really , except a couple of references to celebs that take themself too seriously er Ozzy never.I dont want to get too philosophical however reading about legends and their inner troubles makes me feel better for doing so.Its an easy read and I believe theres a follow up book due out.The house hunting story has made a lot of people laugh believe me man.....
on 13 November 2013
This is a brilliant book, and once you start it, you will find you cannot put it down. I love the fun life of Ozzy and the family. This is a man, a British man, who came from a humble background of birminham and made it in the rock world and became a legon. PLEASE NOTE, you will find a bit of bad language in it but, its very very funny and just what you think a rock legion would get up too but with OZZY, its much, much more. As you read the book, you live his story in your own minds eye. I have read the book now three times and others to relive the magic and fun again. Its a Top book for a top man of rock and roll. Long live Ozzy and Sharon. x
on 3 September 2011
This book is well worth the time it takes to read it
Although I am not a fan of Ozzy or Black Sabbath, I enjoyed reading about his life and times it will make you laugh out loud in places make you sad in others

A no holds barred tour through his at times insane lifestyle
In my opinion a great read
on 8 May 2013
I must admit this is the funniest book I've ever read, I've been working night shift when I down loaded it onto my kindle, been reading after my shift, bloody hell could not put it down , must have got about 2 hours sleep the whole week, sitting reading this with tears of laughter running down my face and sides hurting from laughing so much,
I've just got back into listening to black sabbath, and related things all the way through this book with each album year by year, and must admit the people who assisted Ozzy putting this book together got it spot on, with his down the earth comments and knack of saying it how it is without any BS made this book a great,funny and a fantastic journey. THANK YOU OZZY OSBOURNE.