on 6 November 2015
I was looking for an audio book to keep me entertained on the way to work in the mornings and evenings. This I thought was perfect as full running time is around 3 hours. I thought that this would last me about a week, which it did.

Morwenna Banks, the narrator really brings the story to life, she gets into character very well and managed to keep think up throughout the novel.

Penny and Lizzie are twins and have lived in a council house for most of their lives. Suddenly their luck changes and they move to a large flat in Chelsea, which belongs to their grandmother. They have not seen her for years and she now lives in an old peoples home.

Although Penny and Lizzie are twins, they are very different. Lizzie is happy to have the quieter life, getting a job in a sandwich shop and working for George. From the moment I met George I knew he was going to be a great character and I loved reading about his and Lizzie's story.

Penny in contrast seems loud, pretends to be someone she's not and is always wanting to party. Penny soon finds out living in Chelsea and trying to be famous is not all that it is cracked up to be.

I did enjoy listening to this book, however it was not very taxing. I could and did guess the ending but this didn't bother me as I was only looking to be entertained. As others have said, this is not the best Colgan book and her latest ones are certainly much better. However if you are looking for light relief then this is for you. Just don't expect to get a deep and meaningful story line as you won't.
on 19 April 2018
An awful book. Full of bad language, bad behaviour and drunken revelry.
I had no sympathy whatsoever with the main characters.
I suppose if I was an average 20 year old with 2 brain cells less than a goldfish, obsessed by makeup, clothes, drinking and sex I might have been impressed, but I am not and was not.
I'm surprised this book got through the proof readers.
I dumped it a quarter of the way through.
on 1 June 2014
I really enjoyed The Little Beach Street Bakery and thought I would give this one a try next. Unfortuantely it turned out very disappointing and downright depressing - while certainly exaggerated, the mirror it holds up to society (celebrity adoration, girls doing literally anything to bag a rich or famous guy) is just a bit too stark for a light read. I also couldn't warm to Penny's character whatsoever.
on 16 May 2015
AN O.K. READ, BUT AS ONE OF THE OTHER REVIEWS SAID - JENNY'S EARLIER BOOKS ARE NOT AS GREAT AS HER MORE RECENT ONES, SO PERHAPS I AM EXPECTING TOO MUCH! SHE HAS WRITTEN SO MANY REALLY EXCELLANT STORIES IT IS IMPORTANT FOR READERS TO LOOK INTO THESE OR THEY WILL MISS SO MUCH.
on 8 July 2015
I didn't think I would like this and ready gave up half way through, but when I perceived with it, I did get into the characters and the whole West End ambience. Had a lovely romantic ending too.
on 29 October 2014
Read as part of Carrie Hope Fletchers Booktober. Very enjoyable, enjoyed reading both sides of the twins story. Would like to see where their story goes in the future. I don't think this is the end yet for the west end girls.
on 17 February 2015
Another disappointing read after loving Jenny Colgan's later books (cupcake/sweets/bakery etc.) The writing is harsher and not so fluent, the characters less likeable and three dimensional and a let down. Perhaps these early years were her trial and error writing years but if you like her latest books, don't waste your time on the early ones like this one and Looking for Andrew McCarthy etc.
on 12 February 2015
There were times when it did feel a little slow but overall fantastic. Personally, I didn't think the older Jenny Colgan books are as good as the newer ones but still definitely well worth a read
on 7 January 2017
Love Jenny colgan books as they just get better and better, a definite must read
on 19 October 2013
I have read other Jenny Colgan books and this one was really disappointing. The characters were caricatures (and for the most part unlikeable), the situations were false and stereotyped and the whole thing was just not enjoyable