on 29 April 2017
I'm a tad annoyed if I'm honest! The first recipes I tried - Greg's rice pudding and the previous pages Vanilla rum sauce - turned out to have BIG issues. I believe an Ingredient must have been missing from the sauce recipe and the cooking temp and time for the rice pudding was way, way off. I've made adjustments, but I shouldn't have to seen as this is a cookbook. As a result I am very nervous about trying out other recipes which will take longer and contain more ingredients.

I can't remember if it was this cookbook another reviewer was referring to, or a different one in the MasterChef series, but they commented on there being 'incomplete' recipes within. The upsetting part is that I purchased 4 of the MasterChef titles in one go, so my 'next recipe' anxiety has now quadrupled!

As with all the MasterChef books there are recipes that will appeal and ones that won't. The 'Everyday' alterations to the more complex dishes, I think are good, but there are only 20. But some other recipes contain a snippet of a change to make it easier to make.

I have to only give this a 3/5 because of the fact that I'm worried to try other recipes based on my negatives first attempts which really should not have happened. I will try other recipes, but I have to do a bit of my own research first to make sure it's right. Really, based on that alone I should give this cookbook only a 1/5. But, I want to give it a chance: Maybe I was just unlucky and just those 2 recipes have issues... I'm hoping and time will tell.
on 23 November 2012
Masterchef for everyday? - only if you don't work, have unlimited funds and a source of the unusual ingredients listed. Far too much of the book is given over to profiles of the contestants and only 20 of the 130 recipes are re-worked, and those to my mind not particularly practically. Good illustrations but not all recipes have them leaving the reader in the dark as to how they should look. I will keep trying to make these recipes work for everyday, but overall, rather disapointed.
on 14 April 2012
In buying a book described as 'everyday', you would think that they would be everyday recipes. Unfortunately the entire book is recipes from the contestants, with approx. 5 recipes translated into an everyday style by John or Gregg, sometimes bearing little resemblance to the original. There is also a fairly useless section of profiles on former contestants. If you want to create Masterchef-worthy dishes according to the recipes of the contestants, then this is the book for you, but if you actually want recipes for something you might feasibly make every day, this is a gigantic waste of time and money.
on 10 June 2012
This is not an everyday cookbook (unless you happen to buy or have supplies of sumac, konbu seaweed, black truffle, etc, conveniently sitting in your cupboards). I am a huge fan of Masterchef but this book has been opened once, sniggered at, and will be sold by me at the earliest opportunity. I assume 'everyday' equates to 'if you have a Michelin star, money to burn, Fortnum & Mason's next door and 8hrs to prepare your meal'. Very disappointing.
on 21 March 2012
A good book that has many and varied dishes sure to be a regular read over the coming months. Well packaged and delivered in good time.
on 10 April 2012
I admit i brought this for my mum on mothers day. But i myself (a man) am a very keen cook and i love to cook. This book though says every day. Yeah if you got 2 or 3 hours to spare to make dinner. If you're looking for every day i would not recommended this book. On the flip side the pictures are really colourful and it does look tasty. It's just you wont be able to make anything on the week days when you are working :(
on 17 November 2012
'Cut pastry to the size of the blini pans you will be using' is typical. No previous mention of blini pans. No blini pans on ingredients list. I'm working my way through the recipes, and some are good, but there's no instruction on TECHNIQUE, and since some of the recipes require a fair amount of competence, I think the title is misleading. There are also some pretty 'schoolboy' recipes, by the way, so it's a very mixed bag, disappointing and not to be recommended, even by me, a big fan of Masterchef. I think the BBC should rethink this one and produce proper, instructive books from which people can learn - as I have done from watching the series. Meantime, Gregg, John and particularly Michel and Monica should distance themselves.
on 23 June 2014
Very informative book. It has pride of place amongst my cookery books and has already cost me loads because I am trying all the recipes one by one!
on 4 January 2013
This is a great book to remind you of the masterchef season 2011 chefs. Some great recipes to try out. The simplified versions of the menus don't always capture the essence of the originals but give an idea of how to substitute your own ingredients for a similar meal. Shame like so many cookery books that this does not have a wipe clean front cover event though it is a hard back.
on 10 April 2013
After reading lots of reviews on the existing MasterChef cook books i chose this one as a gift for my friend who is a big fan of the program and am not disappointed! Great recipes and easy to follow :) :)