Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 December 2012
Wherever I go, a copy of the rough guide is always by my side and have a small collection now. This book is well researched and contains an excellent guide to Sri Lanka.

We went for 2 weeks and this is the only thing we needed. As with all the rough guides, it contains an extensive list of attractions, restaurants, hotels in a number of price ranges and a huge amount of history and background. The format and style of easy to follow and contains everything you would want when travelling to Sri Lanka or anywhere that books are available for.

The only travel book you will ever need.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 February 2013
I bought this eBook to read without the weight normally associated with Rough Guides (and, indeed, their Lonely Planet competitors). It was also significantly cheaper as a digital download.

The detail, depth of information and structure of the book is typical of the Rough Guide series. However, whilst I used to view them as the benchmark of tourist information guides I've become increasingly aware that these days they can get quickly out of date.

As an example that pertains to me, let's consider the train ride from Colombo to Kandy. Whilst the book describes this it doesn't mention that these days you can book a top notch luxurious carriage known as the Expo Rail that leave Colombo every day at 7:00am and arrives in Kandy at 9:30am (well, that's the advertised time, anyway). As this carriage is a fairly recent addition the train services I can understand how it would be missing from a *printed* book, but I had hoped the eBook would be more up-to-date with perhaps some (free) updates available for download now and again.

All in all, I've probably discovered more valuable information for my particular trip to Sri Lanka just by browsing the internet and watching relevant YouTube videos - all of which are up-to-date. The problem is that the Rough Guide covers too much of Sri Lanka so there are countless pages of no relevance to your particular visit. At least I'm not carrying all that superfluous weight!

So whilst this Rough Guide is OK (and, truth be told, better than OK if you want all the minutiae of details) I'm slowly going off this series and finding other, more timely publications.

I intend to read this on the plane flight out though so if I change my opinion I'll update this review in due course.
on 18 December 2012
The kindle version is good but I'd really recommend you get the physical version as on Kindle it's very fiddly to use. It's okay to read on the plane but if you want to advise as you travel then in this case the physical book is the best way to go. Oh and we nick named the author 'Grumpy Gavin' as he really doesn't like somethings that were really quite good, but otherwise very useful.
on 3 August 2013
I have used this book to support myself during my recent trip to Sri Lanka. All is fine, but some recommendations regarding accommodation and places to eat are a bit dodgy!
You are much better off to make your own mind out at the end of the day.
on 10 January 2014
Excellent guide , much better than lonely planet equivalent . Used it for a 3week tour around most of the major sights this Christmas . Only small quibble is that the prices are now about 20% more than the guide book states for some things. Would definitely recommend .
on 12 February 2014
Got this based on the reviews and it does give lots of useful info, which helped us to have a great trip in Sri Lanka. I'm a visual person so I would have like more pictures, but I'm also glad it's a convenient size. There are some over vamped sections, hyping places up to drive tourist traffic there - so it's worth doing a bit of research on trip advisor etc as well. I found this with Ella in particular.
on 14 July 2013
We just used this guide for our trip to Sri Lanka and it was useful to have, the caveat being that a guidebook will never be able to provide you with all the info you need. We are normally more Lonely Planet users but given the dismal reviews of the LP guide, we opted for the Rough Guide instead.

We used it to help us plan our itinerary (there are good, detailed descriptions of the various sites and cities to visit) and understand the basics of getting around. The restaurant and hotel recs were pretty good but sites like Tripadvisor are probably better placed these days to help on that front.

There are some drawbacks to the guide:
- Some of the city maps were too scaled down so it was hard to get an understanding of size and neighbourhoods.
- The font is way too small in this guide. I know it helps keep the book a more manageable size for traveling but some of text is really difficult to read.
- Transport times between cities are sometimes correct, othertimes not. I don't necessarily think this is the fault of author but just a small heads up for people heading to SL, public transport is very cheap but frustratingly slow. You will end up relying on the kindness of strangers to tell you which buses to take but even they are not always correct!
- Nothing on the role of women in SL. I found the country to be very male dominated, with all questions being directed to my partner and not me. It would have been good to provide some more background on gender relations.

Overall, a good guide. I would use it again.
on 23 May 2014
An example of a very poor Kindle conversion. The maps, even when expanded, are such that it is impossible to read street and place names, or to locate suggested sites of interest.

It is poorly indexed, and few of the place names littered throughout the book are hyperlinked to the section about them. Because it is impossible to flick rapidly through a Kindle, even with the new feature which seeks to emulate this, hyperlinking and indexing is vital to make such a usable.

As a result of all this, didn't get to evaluate the content very much, but insofar as I did it wasn't spectacular – seemed somewhat out of date for the places we visited.

Sri Lanka is great though!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2013
I own Kindle version of the book which really needs reading on colour tablet. Maybe I'm bias but it was simple to navigate my way through and the prose is acceptable for those whose English is not native to them. This book did exactly what it said on the tin. Well written and although traveled part of the country (a re-visit is due) following the maps in the guide led to the correct destinations. Couldn't fault it. Currency fluctuates therefore when this book went to print the currency had changed. Only fault (contradiction on previous statement) is the photos do not capture Sri Lanka's outstanding natural beauty.
on 10 March 2015
A lot of facts and figures crammed into this book. The print is very small and there are very few meaningful pictures of most locations. Rough Guides are generally very good and this one is just okay. It will serve a purpose but I think that there are others on the market which are better.