on 6 August 2017
As you'd expect from the Rough Guides series, this is a great book- clear, engaging, informative with a good balance between the different types of sights and activities that might appeal to a traveller or tourist. At 844 pages long, it's a fairly thick and weighty book compared with their guides to some other countries. As always, the contexts section is a useful mine of information on culture, language, history, music, wildlife etc of New Zealand and a good starting point for those wanting to look up/look into those topics in more depth elsewhere. Useful maps. No criticisms at all.
on 5 July 2013
Disappointingly the content is no more than an amalgamation of the information provided by the Department of Conservation (notoriously conservative in their suggestions) and the tours offered at every i-SITE dotted round the country (sales driven unless you befriend them). The content will be adequate for most however you will not get a feeling of discovery from using this book. It is up to date though which is most peoples deciding factor. In hindsight I would have tried the Frenzy guide, and only visited the South Island.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 December 2013
A big heavy read! Lots of information covered. Rough guides are my favourite travel info books. I like the way the info is presented. We are trying to plan a trip to New Zealand next year and although n reality the plan hasn't got all that far (and may never even happen!!) reading this book is a very enjoyable way of imagining the way things are out there!
on 20 February 2015
I bought the Kindle version as its so much easier to take on travels. There is plenty of useful information including links to websites, plenty of maps and suggestions for things to see and do. I was a little disappointed to find that the information about pronunciation and meanings of NZ words which I had seen in the paperback edition is missing from my Kindle edition.
on 30 January 2013
I always have used Rough Guides when I travel abroad as it covers all types of traveler not just backpackers. Good information and well researched and invaluable when planning a trip.
4 people found this helpful
on 26 May 2013
Good travel book, it helped us find our way on our travels, it is a good book, well written and the info was fairly accurate and up to date and provided a few good recommendations and good advice on things to avoide.
on 14 August 2016
Dad took one look at this and threw it in the bin.
on 14 January 2015
Purchased as a gift for the in-laws. They seem to be very happy with it whilst they bum around New Zealand being terribly smug
on 14 March 2015
Rough Guides are full of useful info and this e-version is very easy to navigate
on 8 February 2014
I like the format , easy reference, all the info I really need to plan my holiday and some great ideas for all budgets.