on 6 August 2017
As you'd expect from the Rough Guides series, this is a great book- clear, engaging, informative with a good balance between the different types of sights and activities that might appeal to a traveller or tourist. At 844 pages long, it's a fairly thick and weighty book compared with their guides to some other countries. As always, the contexts section is a useful mine of information on culture, language, history, music, wildlife etc of New Zealand and a good starting point for those wanting to look up/look into those topics in more depth elsewhere. Useful maps. No criticisms at all.
on 20 September 2014
Used this book a lot which was full of hints on where to eat, visit etc.
on 17 June 2017
good guide must have for New Zealand
on 2 March 2014
good swift service, a useful book for when we go travelling this summer. Good clear descriptions of places and available activities.
on 10 November 2013
I've loved using this guide while planning a holiday in NZ. The layout is very clear and easy to follow. The content gives you a wide of range of options while looking for accommodation, food, activities etc. It is my most favourite Rough Guide so far (I love the fact that it's printed in colour). My only issue was that some of the accommodation prices must have gone up since it was printed and I ended up paying around 15% more than stated in the book - which is a natural thing to happen, but you may want to bear this in mind while planning.
on 19 April 2013
Bought this for our trip to the 2011 Rugby World Cup and it proved invaluable for our 6 week trip. We started in Christchurch and visited Dunedin, Invercargill, Te Anau & Queenstown on the North Island. The North Island leg of our journey took in Auckland, Whitianga, Tauranga & Rotorua.

As a matter of course we would visit the local Tourist Information on arrival in somewhere new, the locals would also always be very happy to talk over your journey & would be very forthcoming with advice on places to visit locally, I'd then follow-up on the advice given by cross-referencing with the guide. This served us perfectly throughout as whatever we needed was always in there and enhanced the information we'd been given.

My plan was to follow a similar system for the forthcoming British Lions tour in Australia but, on initial browsing, the guide doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good
on 22 October 2012
I am a fan of rough guides and this is another good one. HOWEVER I bought this for my kindle and thought this would be a brilliant way to save luggage space and weight. Disappointingly it is really hard to find the sections that you need.

For example: I wanted to look for Rotorua. This isn't one fo the main titles that can be found on the main index page as it is a smaller place and, not knowing NZ very well, I wasn't sure under which of the main index titles it came under, as I don't know all the locations yet. So I think to myself, I'll do a search for the word ROTORUA. Now 150 references to Rotorua come up yet the subtitle Rotorua for the sub-section in one of the bigger chapters on this area DOES NOT come up. So it's impossible to find. Now, few people read guide books from front to back. We all know an area we want to read more about and want to rush there in the book. You just can't do this on a kindle. Plus, having it on my kindle touch with a black and white screen it is way less enjoyable when you can't see coloured pictures. I really think either amazon or Rough guides should really address this issue. Surely if you search for a place name the first result should be the chapter this title.

What a great thing it would be to be able to carry all your travel guides on a kindle, but not if you cannot find what you are looking for. Disappointing that no-one has actually thought how people use the literature they are reading.
on 5 July 2013
Disappointingly the content is no more than an amalgamation of the information provided by the Department of Conservation (notoriously conservative in their suggestions) and the tours offered at every i-SITE dotted round the country (sales driven unless you befriend them). The content will be adequate for most however you will not get a feeling of discovery from using this book. It is up to date though which is most peoples deciding factor. In hindsight I would have tried the Frenzy guide, and only visited the South Island.
on 15 December 2012
I have used ' Rough Guides' whenever I've wished to travel to places I've never been before and they've never let me down.
They have everything you might need to know, at a sensible price
on 30 January 2013
I always have used Rough Guides when I travel abroad as it covers all types of traveler not just backpackers. Good information and well researched and invaluable when planning a trip.