Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2003
I've just come back from a six-week trip to Bolivia, and I found this by far the best of the guide books on the country. The author clearly has a deep knowledge of all things Bolivian, from wildlife and ecology to bizarre indigenous fiestas and customs.
More importantly, though, I found that the practical information and advice on where to go, what to see, how to get there, and how to deal with the sometimes tough travel conditions was really outstanding. Crucially, it's very up to date compared to its main rivals -- most of the phone numbers I tried were correct, which simply wasn't the case in other guidebooks.
If you go to Bolivia, you'll find most travellers go with the long-established Lonely Planet Guide to the country. I started out the same way, but found it meant I was always travelling in a crowd round a limited number of destinations, almost as if we had been railroaded!
This changed when another traveller gave me a copy of this book. I found it really expanded my horizons and made for far more imaginative and adventurous trip.
It manages to give excellent travel information without portraying Bolivia as a theme park that exists simply for the enjoyment of tourists. I recommend it to anyone looking to get to know the real Bolivia, and not just tramp around the same old Gringo trail.
on 14 March 2014
all you need for a standard trip to bolivia is here, however for the most adventurous travellers, some information is missing.
For instance not much information is available should you want to visit the Uyuni Salar or venture further south west IN YOUR OWN 4x4, much more detail is needed for this.
Saying that if you are more than happy to do all trips with tour guides and travel agencies, you cant ask for a better travel guide.

Enjoy your trip xx
on 20 May 2013
This is regarding the ebook: General info is good but the maps look like they've been scanned in low resolution, they are impossible to read on my nexus device, it is not possible to zoom in and see them in more detail,it just goes blurry- and what use is a guide book without city maps. Not a happy customer. Sort it out please rough guides - don't charge full price for a half hearted product.
on 16 July 2014
Excellent guide - matches what other positive reviewers have said. Book is just the right size and level of detail to carry around on my trip. Photos and illustration are very good also. Price is also attractive! Very pleased with my purchase.
on 8 February 2013
This is a great guide to Bolivia telling you everything you need to know when travelling there. It is making me quite excited about my trip and has some great off the beaten track suggestions
on 6 April 2013
A good guide book to start planning an independent trip to Bolivia. Full of facts, figures, accommodation listings and advice as to transport, food, culture etc.
on 26 July 2004
I just came back from a six week trip in bolivia travelling with a copy of this guide. It was a good read initially. However, after reading a copy of the recent lonely planet, I realised it lacked a lot of critical info. None of the maps were detailed enough to show essential points of interest and the travel info was vague to the point of redicule. I realise it has been a year since publication, but the difference is so pronounced. Don't get this book.
on 31 August 2009
People generally fall into one of two camps Lonely Planet Or Rough Guide. We go for the latter - more in tune with British thinking and more prepared to call a spade a spade. As ever it is pretty well aimed at the gap year brigade rather than 40 somethings with kids 11 and 8 like us, but we expected that and we get the picture. Still plenty to inspire and enthuse. It points out the risks in an informative and low key way so everything is in perspective except the information on rabies is woefully (like 20 years) out of date, and there may be more in the same vein as I go through it. Maybe say more when I get back.
on 4 February 2009
You cannot beat Rough Guide. You will see everything you need to see with this book.