Customer reviews

on 22 March 2012
I bought this book having already purchased 'Universe' which is outstanding. This text doesn't disappoint either and is packed with lots of useful information from rocks and minerals to weather and plate tectonics. The quality is everything you would expect from DK, highly reccomended.
on 10 February 2013
I like this series of books (Universe, Ocean, Science, Animal Life, ...) - all of them are quality and really beautiful with a lot of information. Pictures are nice too. Since my childhood I always loved cross sections of Earth, mountains, etc. Every part, chapter and topic has a few introductory pages and then many smaller concrete examples. Book goes through Planet Earth as a whole, with its structure, minerals, soils, then to Land (biggest part) with habitats, various features like mountains, rivers, urban areas and then smaller parts about Oceans and Atmoshpere. More important items have more space (like New York in urban areas) and smaller topics just a column or two (like Carpathians though they cover most of the country I live in :-)).

I'd gladly give it 5 stars, but there was one thing that let it down a bit - obvious errors in numbers. Sometimes miles vs km areas were not in ratio like the cipher was mising in one case, and in many cases I simply couldn't believe them - and of course I coundn't be sure which number if any was right. As an example - Moscow area 386 km2 (1000 sq miles, now after check miles are right, ~2500 km2 would be OK then). Or Rio de Janeiro with 11.2m people (at the time of writing) and area 1,171 km2 was suspicious compared to other cities. Checking Wikipedia now population of 11.2m must have been for the whole metropolitan area, but then that area is ~4,500 km2. Legend says both should be for the city and its suburbs. So this was one really minor gripe with the book. Sometimes I want to wonder about some facts - and here I often wasn't sure if I wonder about true facts. Most numbers are probably true and in texts there was hardly anything suspicious for random reader like me.

Bottom line: I love the book, numbers or not, but 5 stars means close to perfect. Obvious errors in numbers are not "close to perfect".
on 18 February 2013
Excellent value for money. Very imformative book. This was bought to aid my son with his Geology A Level as an additional book. He is really happy with it but would be a good read if you are just interested in this sort of thing!!!

Would recommend.
on 7 February 2013
Bought as a Christmas stocking filler - great as a coffee table book. The sort of book you can dip into either for a short time or a long time.