on 27 December 2012
You need to read this book in advance of a trip to Chicago as it's not easily used at-a-glance. It is incredibly detailed and well organised. I was able to read about the interesting landmarks and architecture, including their history and context. However, once I was in Chicago and if I quickly wanted practical information about a landmark's location, opening times and prices, I couldn't find it quickly and it was heavy to carry around.
So, if you want a handy guide to use on foot, choose something else. For detailed and comprehensive information with time to read, you can't beat it. Personally I also found the 3D map of each area difficult to follow and abandoned the in favour of a standard, separate map.
on 5 November 2012
Great guide, with lots of photos, diagrams and great explanations! Learned a lot about the city. You have everything you need in it: maps, directions... Went to Chicago this year (short trip though) so now, I'm prepared for my next trip!
on 3 July 2013
We always use these guides, and now with added laminated pull-out map, even more useful. If not used before, it is essential to spend time 'learning' how to get the most out of these guides, as they can be a little confusing, but excellent when used properly.
on 16 November 2013
This guide is invaluable to my daughter (whom it was bought for), as it made it much easier to navigate a unfamiliar city in an unfamiliar country!

Recommend

I am also going to buy one for myself for when I visit next year!!
on 19 May 2013
I've been buying DK Eyewitness Guides for over a decade now. I love the design and their travel tips. This one in particular was very helpful during my Chicago one week trip. The foldable city map is a perfect addition. It's plastic covered and quite handy in comparison to your typical paper map, this one will last longer that your trip and is ideal since in won't break and it won't get torn down by rain or wind. The restaurants recommendations are really good as well as the guided walking tours they recommend.
on 31 July 2013
A good size guide with useful information, but I did not find it easy to locate places from the maps supplied
on 30 November 2012
Bought this for my son and daughter-in-law to read before their holiday to Chicago. Arrived quickly, great price, brilliant book.
on 25 May 2013
I have traveled in lots of different places, I am always buying a DK before hand. I found them to be the best of their kind.
Definitely recommended.
on 11 March 2013
First rate, as usual with this series. Especially like the historical background section at the beginning and the maps are invaluable.
on 14 November 2014
This Guide is very good. Recommended!