on 30 November 2012
This little book is very useful to carry in a bag or pocket, and I found it invaluable on our trip to Venice. I love this series, the layout and the pictures are good. If you want the full history then the large copy is the one, but this is great to carry around all day.
on 22 May 2013
The map doesn't completely cover the two main islands, but covers the main bits. The book fits into a large pocket. For its size, the book and map are excellent but I found the map uncomfortably small. Our hotel had larger maps to give away; it's worth asking because a full size map is much easier to read.
on 4 October 2013
I was very surprised at how helpful and clever this little guide book was. I spent 2 weeks travelling around Italy on the trains and this little guide was a big help. Light and as descibed, fits in your pocket. Text is a bit small and may prove difficult to read for people with sight problems but other than that, i would have been lost without it.....literally.

Full of helpful tips and important information. Also includes train routes, bus stops and restaurant suggestions with a pricing index to show you a variation of cheap to expensive places to eat. For places of interest, it will tell you if there is an admission charge and helpful tips on getting tickets.

I would recommend it to anyone travelling to Venice
on 29 March 2014
At first I wasn't sure just how useful this guide would be, but after having brought it and visited Venice I can say for sure that I would've been completely lost without it. The actual bus routes on the map have altered since being published so that was probably the least helpful aspect of the guide, but the actual map of the city was incredibly useful as was the pocket guide of places to visit and see. I would definitely recommend it for a short stay away!
on 21 April 2013
I am very sorry to say that when I receivedx this item I hadn't realized how small it was going to be. At the time I wrote to you to say that the print was so small I needed a magnifying glass to read any of it, and I was refunded the cost of this item.
It is not often that I rate things so low but it really was of no use to me. I have had pocket book things in the past and they have been fine but unfortunately this was not one of them
on 15 May 2013
Perfect for what I needed. It is small but easy to use. It has a good map and lots of useful
Info about each area.
on 6 October 2013
On our recent trip to Venice we never went out without this guide and particularly the map. Amazing how much walking one can do in a city of canals! Having read up the history of Venice before our visit, this guide has enough information to remind you of the best sights to cram into a short visit - you cannot see everything in a week! Very handy size and used extensively. And for only a couple of pounds it was great value.
on 10 August 2012
I'm a massive fan of all the shapes and sizes of DK guides but this one (and the larger DK top 10 Venice guide) are proper stinkers for a few basic reasons. Although they contain the standard information you'd expect, in both of the above mentioned (which are the most recent print runs) the prices it quotes for entry to the main attractions-namely the Doge's Palace, the Campanile and Academia-were listed as at least 60% less than the real price. (We didn't go to the Basilica so can't comment on that). The second fault was there was no mention of the infamous Venice "tourist tax" whereby every visitor has to pay one euro per hotel star per person per night for the first five days. The first we knew of this was at check in to the hotel. So 4 nights for a couple in a 4 star hotel means you have to pay 32 euros in cash on check out. I would have expected to find this basic information in the "arriving in Venice" part of the guide. (We never found out why it had to be paid in cash.) Thirdly, the guide does not explain how long it takes to get from Marco Polo airport to the city and how hard it is to establish the best means of transport. (We were told to get water taxi-115 euros!) We couldn't get the cheaper option-the Vaporetto because it didn't stop near our hotel so it left the Alilaguna water bus-a painfully long 90 minutes on an overcrowded boat with our cases on our knees. Again, none of this was mentioned in the "arriving" part of the guide. The only saving grace of this edition was the laminated map which was invaluable for negotiating the narrow streets. So, Venice is gorgeous and well worth a visit, but take a different guide with you rather than this one!
on 19 February 2014
I was looking for a handy pocket sized map that would include guidance in getting around Venice.
I found this little book has that and more, it includes lots of iformation about interesting places to visit
and it also containes some useful Italian prases.
on 5 November 2013
Just what you need for your trip to Venice although some of the lane names weren't on there so got lost a couple of times, but easy to get back on track and the information in it was really helpful and perfect size to pop in bag or pocket!