on 27 November 2012
This book is basically a summary overview of every region and town in New Zealand, all in color. It is great for giving you an introduction to everything New Zealand, but it falls very short on actual details about anything. Lonely Planet and Rough Guide offer far more details about each particular town/region/area, while the NZFrenzy books offer far more details about outdoor activities. In summary, get this book to get you a little acquainted with NZ and get your planning revved-up, but then get other books to bring with you to New Zealand and help you get the most out of your trip.
on 2 August 2012
I got it together with Lonely Planet's 'Discover New Zealand' and I must say this was the main guide book that I used (together with extensive info you get in i-site visitor information places whilst in NZ). What made me pick this guide over the other was the fact that, apart from many photos, it contains details of short trips and walks you can take when you discover that you have got a few hours to spare in a given location. Very useful!
on 10 March 2013
I personally found this guide easier to use and read. It contained many more pictures than the similar LP guides. Items of particular interest in a region were given a bold title and made easy to spot. There was a good selection of small maps showing main towns and routes. It is still a good idea to take a Globetrotter type map of NZ with you. All the accomodation and restaurants are grouped in two sections at the back but still keeping it in the regions. Indipendant travellers have a mind and voice and will find a suitably priced restaurant.The guide like the LPs is I think aimed at the backpacker market, and whilst I appreciate keeping up to date with YHA and similar establishements is difficult as they change so rapidly, I was pleased to see that the I-Site Web site was listed. Nearly every major town has one and they are so helpful they should (unless I missed it) be given a full page write up in this book as to the services they can offer an independent traveller. I like the idea of putting the history of the country at the front and then general traveller information at the back - it keeps it all together but in two distict sections.
on 5 February 2014
Having bought this book for my elder sister's birthday prior to her spending 3 weeks on a train tour of NZ, it seemed the ideal choice for her needs as she will alight at town & city stations to explore the surroundings & will have plenty of time aboard to read the text. As it is an all-in holiday, she does not need details of accommodation & restaurants available.
The only downside is that it is a little heavy, printed on good quality gloss paper.
on 20 June 2013
Clear ,illustrative, logical and easy on the eye. It makes a great planning aid for visiting NZ, much more helpful than the dry text only versions of NZ guides I used before.
on 11 September 2012
Not used it yet ( not got to New Zealand yet!!) but is beautifully laid out and very informative and quite excellent value. I always find DK travel books give just enough information without overwhelming - great for pre visit planning.
on 6 July 2012
Had an older version of this which I used 8 years ago for 2 visits, I know I'll use this one too, gives some good ideas of places to visit that you may not have known about when visiting a town or city.
Usefull price guides too
on 18 February 2014
This is a good size to take on holiday with me. There is enough information about the various places that I'll be visiting and it is always useful to know what to see and where to eat etc.
on 18 April 2014
Excellent book that is a handy size to pop in your bag when you are out and about. Good maps. Gives itinery ideas for different lengths of stay which is very helpful.
on 8 February 2013
I like the Eye Witness series as they give you more pictures and information that some other guides. I could picture myself there with that guide with me