Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 October 2011
I absolutely love this book. It is for everyone from beginner to expert. Even if you consider yourself an expert I can guarantee there will be something in this book that you have never tried before. It covers everything from the basics of how to cast on and do the basic knit and purl stitches,to creating textured knits. Increases and decreases, colourwork, knitting in the round, buttonholes, adding beads and edgings,short rows, gathers, and even mitred squares and spirals. There are some lovely projects in it too. And being a Dorling Kindersley product it is full of fantastic colour photographs.
on 19 December 2011
Full of techniques and extensive stich library with such beautiful photography. It prompts me to tackle some stiches straight away. Althogh it may take a while to digest the whole book for a biginner knitter like myself, it far exceeded my expectation.
on 17 November 2012
I own this book. Whilst it is very good for consulting on tools, materials and techniques, the project patterns contained within pages 272 - 353 are full of mistakes.
on 25 August 2013
I thought this was an excellent resource at first but on attempting some of the patterns, I quickly realised it is full of mistakes. There is no way of getting help once you do come up against an error, the publishers aren't interested and didn't even respond when I contacted them to ask who the author of the patterns was.
Just got to the end of the baby blanket only to find I'm knitting the wrong pattern for the edging....another misprint! A very experienced knitter can just undo their work and pick up the correct row but I can't so will have to take it somewhere for help. Very annoying! I do not recommend this book....especially not unless you are an experienced knitter.
on 18 October 2011
This book is far better than I could have hoped for - well-explained and beautifully illustrated with photographs throughout, I've been using it for a day and already learned 10 new ways to cast on that I didn't before! The instructions are clear, the stitch pattern gallery is gorgeous and the information at the beginning about different kinds of yarn and needles are really priceless for someone just starting out.

I haven't tried any of the patterns yet but I've had a quick flick through the selection and they look nicely varied and modern. I really can't praise this book enough, my only issue with it is that it's very heavy and I managed to drop it on my foot, OUCH!
on 27 January 2012
I'm a reasonably experienced knitter and have been adapting patterns and developing my own tecniques for years. I found this book really informative and helpful and it will be a perfect reference book for tricky patterns in the future.
VINE VOICEon 25 July 2013
First of all, I haven't used any of the patterns in this so I can't vouch for them. However, this is the book I go to when I'm not sure of how to do something, and I have found it invaluable. It follows a roughly chronological ordering from simple to complicated and from beginning to end of project.

The book opens with a section on tools and materials: yarns, what weights you use for what items, needles and other notions with handy conversion charts for US and UK sizings. Great for anyone bewildered by the selection of terminology regarding yarns and notions you walk into in a wool shop. Next comes a gallery of stitch patterns, pretty but perhaps a little intimidating for the beginner, though a good illustration of the range of uses knitting can be put to

Now comes the most helpful part of the book for me, the techniques. The chapter moves gently beginning with how to make a slip knot and how to hold the yarn moving on to giving a range of cast ons and there is some, although not a lot, of indication of the uses of the different cast ons. A much better book on cast ons and offs (bind offs in USA terminology) for particular projects is Cast On, Bind Off but this gives you a good grounding and shows most cast ons that patterns indicate. The same is true of the following cast-offs.

Next the stitches, knit, purl, basic stitches combining knits and purls: garter, stocking, rib. Then joining in yarns and darning in ends, repairing, unpicking and picking up dropped stitches, something I still do after decades of knitting.

The next section is on following commercial patterns. There is a useful chart of abbreviations, terminology and commonly used symbols and a specimen knitting chart labelled up with explanations including how to choose and buy the right amount of yarn. Instructions are given on choosing the size of garment, altering patterns and making and measuring a tension swatch.

Increases and decreases of all kinds come next, yarn overs, knitting / purling into front and back of a single stitch, make ones, multiple increases, knit / purl two (or more) together, and the slip stitch decreases. A chart for paired increases / decreases is given noting the direction of the slant, abbreviations and visibility, followed by a section on shaping using increases / decreases on the edge and in the centre of a piece.

Cables and twists comes next although these are very basic, with instructions for making i-cords. Then lace knitting, just simple eyelets, and a few pages on colourwork, both fair-isle and intarsia. The instructions for these are not extensive because there are more extensive patterns in the section at the end of the book

Next is a section on texture, struture and colour effects, ways of using the basic stitches to create puckers, clusters, smocking, pleats, entrelac ruffles and short rows.

Then a section on circular kitting, including mobius, tubular, helix, spiral and medallion using sets of double pointed needles and circular knitting needles

And then finishing details: picking up cast on/off edges, selvedges, buttonholes and button loops, pockets, hems, blocking, seams, steeks, fastenings, zips, embellishments (including bead and sequin knitting), bobbles, popcorns, embroidery, pompoms, tassels and fringes.

The final section is patterns which are pretty but as I say I haven't tried them yet. First come the projects, then a library of stitch patterns including knit and purl patterns, increases and decreases, cables and twists, lace, colourwork, edgings, medallions, beads and sequins

I do use other books as well as this one but this is the one I return to when I can't remember how to do something
on 21 December 2011
Best knitting book I have ever read! Even for an experienced knitter there is so much to learn from it. Like other reviewers I was particularly impressed by the photography- which is bright and clear. The only critisism I can think of is that it is hard to curl up in an armchair and knit with it open on your knee being so big, but that doesn't detract from how good the book actually is.
on 28 January 2014
The 4 stars are for the book minus the project patterns. I did see the previous reviews about the projects in this book but I borrowed it from the library and was very impressed with the rest of the book. However, I tried the simple baby jacket and yes, even that was littered with mistakes with stitch numbers. I had finished the whole of the back section of the jacket before I had to give up. When I started adding up the stitches as printed they were way out, so could not even contemplate doing the neck shaping. Its a shame that such a great book is spoiled by these ridiculous patterns. And yet someone must have knitted them right in the first place for the pictures.
on 8 January 2013
This book was recommended to me by the owners of my local wool shop. I haven't knitted for years, so needed some reference book to help me knit a jacket for one of my grandsons. This is my bible now as it has wonderful illustrations and excellent text for every type of knitting you could think of. A great book and delivered rapidly. I am delighted with it!